Tottenham Hotspur players looking to spur on England in World Cup qualifying quest
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Gareth Southgate’s team take on Scotland this weekend and four Spurs players are expected to start
Tottenham Hotspur’s England players are preparing to do battle with the auld enemy as they visit Glasgow to take on Scotland in a World Cup qualifier on Saturday.
Harry Kane, Dele Alli, Eric Dier and Kyle Walker are all expected to start for Gareth Southgate’s team this weekend.
Three of the quartet have just returned from 48 hours on a team bonding session in Devon with the Royal Marines.
Kane, Alli, Walker and Kieran Trippier took part and had their mobile phones taken off them and dressed in military training uniform during the weekend trip.
You may also want to watch:
The England squad spent one night camping on Woodbury Common and also had to complete a four-mile hike and undertook underwater exercises.
Dier was one of five players to miss the camp, with Chelsea’s Gary Cahill and Manchester United trip Chris Smalling, Jesse Lingard and Marcus Rashford.
- 1 Lower Clapton restaurant to hold free meals event for struggling people
- 2 Jealous Dalston murderer stabbed victim through his heart with scissors
- 3 Hackney mother seeks compensation after living with mice infestation
- 4 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 5 Olympic boxer joins fight to make vegetable poverty history in Hackney
- 6 Hackney Half marathon to go ahead amid uncertain Covid restrictions
- 7 Stamford Hill singer says Hackney people helped him on creative path
- 8 Tributes paid to Hackney sports hero and coach Lloyd Cowan
- 9 Lower Clapton blaze damages maisonette
- 10 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
But the weekend has helped prepare the England team for a hostile atmosphere at Hamden Park on Saturday.
Southgate’s men are top of Group F with 13 points from five games, having beaten Scotland 3-0 at Wembley in November.
A repeat result would delight England, but a tougher test can be expected, though it will be one the likes of Kane and Alli relish.
Walker is set to start against Scotland on Saturday, but Trippier – after an impressive finish to last season – may be handed his Three Lions debut next Tuesday (June 13).
Southgate’s team visit the Stade de France to face Les Bleus for an 8pm kick-off against the Euro 2016 runners-up.
Kane, Alli, Dier, Walker and Trippier could potentially face Spurs team-mates Hugo Lloris and Moussa Sissoko.
Christian Eriksen scored for Denmark on Tuesday night in their 1-1 friendly draw at home to Germany and is expected to then turn out for his country on Saturday in their World Cup qualifier away to Kazakhstan.
Heung-min Son started South Korea’s goalless draw with Iraq on Wednesday and will play in their World Cup qualifier away to Qatar next Tuesday.
Victor Wanyama will also represent Kenya this weekend in their African Cup of Nations qualifier away to Sierra Leone.
Ben Davies will feature for Wales in their Group D fixture away to Serbia on Sunday while Kevin Wimmer is set to play for Austria against Republic of Ireland in the same group, also on Sunday.