Spurs legend Ricky Villa backing Mauricio Pochettino to deliver trophies for Tottenham Hotspur
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
The 1978 World Cup winner praised the work of Pochettino and believes he will remain at White Hart Lane
Tottenham Hotspur legend Ricky Villa believes Mauricio Pochettino will bring silverware back to White Hart Lane.
Pochettino recently signed a new five-year deal with Spurs, taking him through to 2023, despite speculation over his future.
The 46-year-old, who is heading into his fifth campaign as Tottenham manager, has consistently been linked with Real Madrid and speculation started up again in light of Zinedine Zidane’s decision to resign this week.
But Villa, who won the FA Cup with Spurs in 1981, scoring one of the competition’s most iconic goals in the final replay against Manchester City, praised the impact Pochettino has had at Tottenham since joining from Southampton in 2014.
Speaking to Football Whispers at their third annual event at Stadium mk, Villa said: “When I talked with Spurs supporters I always said they need Argentinean people in the club!
You may also want to watch:
“Pochettino has been coaching the club for the last four years and I’m very pleased because he’s a very honest man.
“He also improves players every day and that is the first part of being a good manager: to improve every individual.
- 1 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 2 Hackney Wick floating restaurant wins Catey award
- 3 'It could be a grim Christmas': Brexit blamed for Hackney fuel shortages
- 4 Residents' parking spaces removed for Church Street LTN
- 5 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 6 Meet the Insta-famous Hackney café taking over your feed
- 7 No shortage of energy for runners in the Hackney Half and 5K
- 8 Hackney's pie and mash house son featured on MasterChef
- 9 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 10 Still no justice for Hackney flat party stabbing victim Elyon Poku
“Like the team he’s in the Champions League again and that is great. The club is getting bigger and bigger because he’s doing brilliantly.”
Villa, who made 179 appearances for Spurs between 1978 and 1983, is adamant Pochettino will remain with Tottenham as they prepare to move into their new home at White Hart Lane.
The 1978 World Cup winner added: “I believe he will stay with the club because he and his family are very happy in England and very much enjoy their lives outside of football.
“In football it’s sometimes very difficult to be 100 per cent happy every day. I believe he will stay because he wants to win something with the club. I’m expecting next year, fingers crossed, we’ll win something.”
Football Whispers is a technology and media company which produces and distributes data-led and analytical football content