Tottenham Hotspur’s Harry Winks earns maiden senior England call-up
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Spurs midfielder earns promotion from under-21 squad after a string of impressive displays following his return from ankle ligament injury
Talented Tottenham Hotspur youngster Harry Winks has earned his maiden call-up to the England senior squad.
Injuries to Manchester City’s Fabian Delph and Manchester United’s Phil Jones saw the midfielder promoted from the under-21 squad to Gareth Southgate’s team yesterday evening.
Winks will now hope to impress in training and make his full debut for the Three Lions over the next week.
England host Slovenia on Thursday in Group F of their World Cup qualifying group before ending their campaign away to Lithuania on Sunday.
Since returning from injury, Winks has caught the eye of boss Mauricio Pochettino and recently received high praise from the Spurs boss.
Team-mate Harry Kane also hailed the potential of the 21-year-old this week and tipped him to earn full international honours.
You may also want to watch:
Winks was solid on Saturday during Tottenham’s 4-0 win at Huddersfield Town, which was his third 90 minutes of the season.
He started his first match of the 2017/18 campaign against Barnsley last month, but has since earned starts at APOEL Nicosia and at the John Smith’s Stadium last weekend.
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 3 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 6 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 7 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 8 Hackney service remembers Prince Philip, 'rock of the nation'
- 9 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 10 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
Speaking on Twitter, Winks said: “The most amazing honour being called up into the England senior squad - proudest moment of my career.”