Tottenham Hotspur win penalty shoot-out to dump AS Monaco out of UEFA Youth League
- Credit: Archant
UEFA Youth League last-16: Tottenham Hotspur 1 AS Monaco 1 (Tottenham Hotspur won 3-1 on penalties)
Tottenham Hotspur under-19s are through to the quarter-final of the UEFA Youth League after a tense penalty shoot-out win over AS Monaco at Stevenage FC’s Lamex Stadium.
As so often happens they missed the first kick, Samuel Shashoua hitting the post and Nabil Alioui put Monaco ahead.
But that was the only one they managed to convert, hitting post, bar and having Brandon Austin make a fine save, and successful attempts from Kazaiah Sterling, Edmond-Paris Maghoma and Oliver Skipp ensured Spurs’s progression.
The game itself had finished 1-1 after 90 minutes before going straight to the shoot-out.
You may also want to watch:
Alioui had put Monaco ahead right on half-time when he supplied the finish to a loose ball in the six-yard box following a corner.
Keanen Bennetts then levelled in superb fashion five minutes after the break.
- 1 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 2 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
- 3 Stoke Newington eatery voted favourite café by Gazette readers
- 4 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 5 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 6 Hackney's field-to-fork cooking school opens in Lower Clapton
- 7 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 8 Complaints about noise neighbours soared in Hackney during the pandemic
- 9 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust
- 10 Chinese dumpling house voted top restaurant by readers
His back-heel drag and turn on the left-hand side of the box took him away from the first defender and in to space.
He then stepped inside the next defender and curled it right-footed around Emmanuel Mifsud.
Both teams had chances to win it with both keepers making good saves. The sides also struck the woodwork each.
First Francesco Antonucci hit the outside of Austin’s post before Sterling rattled the crossbar.
Tottenham will now play FC Porto in the last eight.
Tottenham: Austin, Hinds, Reynolds, Skipp, Eyoma, Lyons-Foster, Oakley-Boothe (Duncan 87), Maghoma, Sterling, Roles (Shashoua 68), Bennetts
Subs (not used): Di Bie, Brown, Griffiths, Marsh, Tanganga
Goals: Bennetts 50
AS Monaco: Mifsud, N’Gakoutou-Yapende, Silva, Serrano, Badiashile-Mukinayi, Diallo, Zerkane (Bongiovanni 68), Antognelli (Thuram-Ulien 85), Alioui, Antonucci, Sylla
Subs (not used): Hagege, Massengo, Utkus, Iglio, Abanda-Mfomo
Goals: Alioui 45
HT: Tottenham Hotspur U19 0 AS Monaco 1
Referee: Ville Nevalainen (Finland)