Tributes paid to former Hackney councillor Eddie Barns
- Credit: Archant
Tributes have been paid to a former Hackney councillor who has died after a long illness.
Eddie Barns, a former Springfield and Leabridge Ward councillor, has died aged 63 at his home in Kent.
Friend Patrick McGlynn, 50, described him as a fierce campaigner for the downtrodden and disadvantaged, adding: “Eddie is missed terribly by his many friends and family.
“He was a man of strong principles and he put them into action; resisting savage cuts to services during Margaret Thatcher’s tenure, founding and running an incapacity action group and working with vulnerable newcomers to Britain.
“Eddie was also a kind-hearted and generous friend who loved nothing better than to travel the world and meet people of all walks of life.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr McGlynn added that his friend, who died on March 1, was a lifelong West Ham fan and a good footballer and tennis player.
A funeral will be held today at 3.20pm at South Essex Crematorium in Upminster, Essex.
- 1 Lower Clapton restaurant to hold free meals event for struggling people
- 2 Jealous Dalston murderer stabbed victim through his heart with scissors
- 3 Hackney mother seeks compensation after living with mice infestation
- 4 Stamford Hill singer says Hackney people helped him on creative path
- 5 Olympic boxer joins fight to make vegetable poverty history in Hackney
- 6 Hackney Half marathon to go ahead amid uncertain Covid restrictions
- 7 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 8 Tributes paid to Hackney sports hero and coach Lloyd Cowan
- 9 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 10 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding