Tributes paid to former Hackney councillor Eddie Barns
- Credit: Archant
Tributes have been paid to a former Hackney councillor who has died after a long illness.
Eddie Barns, a former Springfield and Leabridge Ward councillor, has died aged 63 at his home in Kent.
Friend Patrick McGlynn, 50, described him as a fierce campaigner for the downtrodden and disadvantaged, adding: “Eddie is missed terribly by his many friends and family.
“He was a man of strong principles and he put them into action; resisting savage cuts to services during Margaret Thatcher’s tenure, founding and running an incapacity action group and working with vulnerable newcomers to Britain.
“Eddie was also a kind-hearted and generous friend who loved nothing better than to travel the world and meet people of all walks of life.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr McGlynn added that his friend, who died on March 1, was a lifelong West Ham fan and a good footballer and tennis player.
A funeral will be held today at 3.20pm at South Essex Crematorium in Upminster, Essex.
- 1 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 2 Hackney remembers Prince Philip after his passing at age 99
- 3 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 4 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 5 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 6 Former East Enders actor takes next career step as a film director
- 7 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 8 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 9 "Horrific" extent of River Lea plastic pollution at Hackney Marshes
- 10 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school