Search

Tributes pour in for mother “beheaded” in her Shoreditch flat

PUBLISHED: 17:34 15 April 2014 | UPDATED: 17:34 15 April 2014

Mother-of-two Judith Nibbs cared for her disabled daughter

Mother-of-two Judith Nibbs cared for her disabled daughter

Archant

Tributes have poured in for “popular and dedicated” meals-on-wheels mother who was beheaded in her flat.

Judith Nibbs, 60, who cared for Hackney’s elderly for six years, was found decapitated after an apparent argument with her estranged husband.

Police were alerted to the horrific killing at the mother-of-two’s home in Vince Court on the Charles Square Estate in Shoreditch on Friday, after neighbours heard “blood curdling screams” coming from the flat.

Afzal Zahar, 32, who lived above Mrs Nibbs, said: “My wife heard screaming and banging from downstairs. The police came soon after.”

Estranged husband, Dempsey Nibbs, 67, was found at the scene with knife wounds, and is now in a critical condition in hospital.

Dean Cummings, 28, who has lived on the estate his whole life, said: “I’ve known her all my life. She was a nice lady and didn’t have a bad word to say about anybody.

“She was always happy with a smile on her face. She had a disabled daughter and an older son who’s about 25.

“She worked for her kids. The daughter’s in a home. It’s just so sad.”

Tributes were laid outside her flat, with a colleague’s card reading: “Judith, can’t believe we are not going to see you or that smiling face and your laugh again. We are all going to miss you. Love and kisses, Meals on Wheels.”

Mrs Nibbs worked for Hackney Borough Council since 2008.

Kim Wright, corporate director for Health and Community Services at Hackney Council, said she was “shocked and saddened” to hear the news. She added: “Judith had worked for the Council’s Meals on Wheels service since 2008 and was a popular and dedicated member of the team.

“Our thoughts and sympathies are with her family, friends and colleagues at this terrible time.”

A Scotland Yard spokesman confirmed a murder investigation had been launched.

“Police were called by paramedics at around 5am to Charles Square Estate following concerns for the welfare of a resident.

“Officers attended and found a 60-year-old woman deceased at the location.

“A 67-year-old man was taken by ambulance to an east London hospital where he remains in a critical condition.

“There have been no arrests. Detectives are not looking for anyone else in connection with the investigation.”

Martine Ngyer, 42, who lives nearby said it was a “close” community “in shock”.

She said: “It’s so sad that something like this has happened, everyone gets on well round here. People are in shock. She had a daughter who she looked after, it’s just terrible.”

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Hackney Gazette

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists