Search

Tube network to be ‘substantially disrupted’ by strike

PUBLISHED: 11:26 29 September 2017 | UPDATED: 11:26 29 September 2017

Tube passengers across London will face disruption if the strike goes ahead (Picture: Ken Mears)

Tube passengers across London will face disruption if the strike goes ahead (Picture: Ken Mears)

Archant

The whole London Underground network will be “substantially disrupted” next week if a planned strike by drivers goes ahead, Tube bosses have warned.

Members of the Aslef union are set to walk out for 24 hours on Thursday in a dispute over working conditions.

Nigel Holness, director of network operations for London Underground, said: “Should the planned strike action go ahead, there will be substantial disruption.

“We will do everything possible to ensure customers can get around on alternative transport services and have the right information to help them do this.

“We are committed to ensuring that our employees are able to maintain a good balance between their work and personal lives and we have been working closely with the unions on new ways to achieve this.

“I encourage the Aslef leadership to continue working with us constructively rather than moving towards unnecessary strike action.”

TfL warned that alternative transport services will be busier than usual as passengers seek alternative routes.

Bus services are likely to be “exceptionally” busy across the capital, it said, and urged people to walk if possible. Road journeys could also take longer than normal.

London Overground and DLR services will not be affected by the strike.

Extra buses and Santander Cycle hubs will be provided should the strike go ahead and TfL is exploring options to help get supporters to Wembley Stadium for England’s World Cup qualifier against Slovenia.

The dispute is about the progress of joint initiatives set up last year between TfL and the unions to improve the work/life balance of Tube drivers.

A four-day, 36-hour working week was trialled on the Jubilee line for drivers.

TfL said it has met its commitments and has been in “constructive” discussions with Aslef at the conciliatory service Acas in order to resolve the dispute.

Further talks are scheduled early next week.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Hackney Gazette. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Hackney Gazette