Turtle Bay Dalston in ‘pay what you feel’ day for Hackney youth charity
- Credit: Archant
A Caribbean restaurant is asking customers to pay what they want for their food and donating the takings to charity.
Turtle Bay in Dalston Square will also match whatever diners cough up as a way of celebrating the venue opening last month.
The money will be going to the Hackney Pirates, who work to develop the literacy and confidence of youngsters in the borough so they can achieve in life.
They provide free support to help children achieve their full potential outside of the classroom via unique real-world learning projects in their “Ship of Adventures”.
It will specifically go towards helping 150 children receive learning sessions from September.
You may also want to watch:
To celebrate the news, staff members “Flash” and Sherai Stewart-Richards visited the Hackney Pirates for a full tour.
Matthew Oreschnick, general manager of the Dalston branch, said: “The work the Hackney Pirates do is really unique – a fantastic idea, delivered by passionate, talented individuals to benefit the young people of Hackney.
- 1 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 2 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 3 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 4 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 5 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 6 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 7 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 8 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 9 Homerton High Street attack: Man in his 50s stabbed in the back
- 10 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
“As new members of the community here, we’re very proud to support them. This idea also means that the better our staff do, the more we’ll raise for the charity!”
Catriona Maclay, Founding Director of Hackney Pirates said the donations would give the charity a huge boost.
“It will help us reach more children than ever before,” she said. “A big “thank you” from all the Young Pirates and Crew!”
The pay as you feel event is from 11.30am-9pm on Wednesday next week.