Turtle Bay Dalston in ‘pay what you feel’ day for Hackney youth charity
- Credit: Archant
A Caribbean restaurant is asking customers to pay what they want for their food and donating the takings to charity.
Turtle Bay in Dalston Square will also match whatever diners cough up as a way of celebrating the venue opening last month.
The money will be going to the Hackney Pirates, who work to develop the literacy and confidence of youngsters in the borough so they can achieve in life.
They provide free support to help children achieve their full potential outside of the classroom via unique real-world learning projects in their “Ship of Adventures”.
It will specifically go towards helping 150 children receive learning sessions from September.
You may also want to watch:
To celebrate the news, staff members “Flash” and Sherai Stewart-Richards visited the Hackney Pirates for a full tour.
Matthew Oreschnick, general manager of the Dalston branch, said: “The work the Hackney Pirates do is really unique – a fantastic idea, delivered by passionate, talented individuals to benefit the young people of Hackney.
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 3 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 6 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 7 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 8 Hackney service remembers Prince Philip, 'rock of the nation'
- 9 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 10 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
“As new members of the community here, we’re very proud to support them. This idea also means that the better our staff do, the more we’ll raise for the charity!”
Catriona Maclay, Founding Director of Hackney Pirates said the donations would give the charity a huge boost.
“It will help us reach more children than ever before,” she said. “A big “thank you” from all the Young Pirates and Crew!”
The pay as you feel event is from 11.30am-9pm on Wednesday next week.