TV celeb Aggie MacKenzie joins Fairtrade Fortnight discussion in Hackney
The How Clean Is Your House? presenter speaks on Saturday about meeting Fairtrade peanut and sugar farmers in Malawi.
The 55-year old Scottish TV presenter - best known for co-presenting Channel 4 series, How Clean Is Your House? - will take part in the discussion in Hackney’s Town Hall in Mare Street as part of the annual national Fairtrade Fortnight.
“Showing off your label,” is generally reserved for fashion die-hards – but for the next two weeks in Hackney it will take a deeper meaning - as the theme of the fortnight which runs until Sunday March 13.
The idea behind Fairtrade is to ensure disadvantaged farmers and workers in developing countries, who have been economically disadvantaged or marginalized by the conventional trading system, get a better deal.
Chocolate, cotton, sugar and bananas are just some of the products that can be bought under the Fairtrade banner, which includes the Fairtrade Premium - contributing to the construction of hospitals, schools and new roads in the community where the goods were produced.
You may also want to watch:
Fairtrade refreshements will be served during the discussion with Aggie MacKenzie, which takes place on Saturday March 5 in Room 102, Hackney Town Hall in Mare Street from 12.30pm to 2pm.
Visit the Hackney Fairtrade blog at www.fairtradehackney.wordpress.com
- 1 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 2 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 3 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 4 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 5 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 6 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 7 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers
- 8 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
- 9 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 10 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
If your community group or business wants to join the Hackney Fairtrade Group email firstname.lastname@example.org .