TV celeb Aggie MacKenzie joins Fairtrade Fortnight discussion in Hackney
The How Clean Is Your House? presenter speaks on Saturday about meeting Fairtrade peanut and sugar farmers in Malawi.
The 55-year old Scottish TV presenter - best known for co-presenting Channel 4 series, How Clean Is Your House? - will take part in the discussion in Hackney’s Town Hall in Mare Street as part of the annual national Fairtrade Fortnight.
“Showing off your label,” is generally reserved for fashion die-hards – but for the next two weeks in Hackney it will take a deeper meaning - as the theme of the fortnight which runs until Sunday March 13.
The idea behind Fairtrade is to ensure disadvantaged farmers and workers in developing countries, who have been economically disadvantaged or marginalized by the conventional trading system, get a better deal.
Chocolate, cotton, sugar and bananas are just some of the products that can be bought under the Fairtrade banner, which includes the Fairtrade Premium - contributing to the construction of hospitals, schools and new roads in the community where the goods were produced.
Fairtrade refreshements will be served during the discussion with Aggie MacKenzie, which takes place on Saturday March 5 in Room 102, Hackney Town Hall in Mare Street from 12.30pm to 2pm.
Visit the Hackney Fairtrade blog at www.fairtradehackney.wordpress.com
- 1 Two shootings in Hackney as Walthamstow murder probe launched
- 2 Man in 'life-threatening' condition after Hackney shooting
- 3 Community bus serving Islington and Hackney cancelled after surging fuel prices
- 4 ‘Blimey’: Stoke Newington resident celebrates 109th birthday
- 5 Met Office: Thunderstorm warning issued for London
- 6 5 things to look forward to at All Points East Festival 2022
- 7 Thousands attend UK Black Pride event in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park
- 8 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 9 10 ace tunes for this year's All Points East
- 10 Polio virus found in Hackney as vaccine rollout announced
If your community group or business wants to join the Hackney Fairtrade Group email email@example.com .