Firefighters rescue elderly pair from tower block on Trelawney Estate after blaze on 10th floor
- Credit: Archant
Two elderly people had to be rescued from a tower block on the Trelawney Estate this morning after a fire in a 10th floor flat.
Six engines and 35 firefighters were sent to the block in Paragon Road, while Morning Lane was also blocked off by the emergency services.
The woman in the flat where the fire started called 999 just before 8.15am when her smoke alarm went off.
Station manager Matt Burrows said: “The resident acted quickly and did exactly the right thing. Upon hearing her smoke alarm and discovering the fire, she got out, closed the door behind her and called 999.
“Around 60 people left the building before the arrival of the Brigade. A number of further residents remained in their unaffected flats.”
You may also want to watch:
One man had to be led to safety from his ninth floor flat by firefighters wearing breathing apparatus, as did a woman who was on the 11th floor. Both were treated at the scene by medics.
Crews from Homerton, Bethnal Green, Stoke Newington, Shoreditch and Islington were sent to the scene and brought the fire under control by 9.20am.
- 1 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 2 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
- 3 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 4 Stoke Newington eatery voted favourite café by Gazette readers
- 5 Hackney's field-to-fork cooking school opens in Lower Clapton
- 6 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 7 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 8 Complaints about noise neighbours soared in Hackney during the pandemic
- 9 Undercover Met officers may have infiltrated Hackney CND
- 10 Decision to demolish 'irreplaceable' community hall in Hackney on hold
The cause of the fire is under investigation.