Firefighters rescue elderly pair from tower block on Trelawney Estate after blaze on 10th floor
- Credit: Archant
Two elderly people had to be rescued from a tower block on the Trelawney Estate this morning after a fire in a 10th floor flat.
Six engines and 35 firefighters were sent to the block in Paragon Road, while Morning Lane was also blocked off by the emergency services.
The woman in the flat where the fire started called 999 just before 8.15am when her smoke alarm went off.
Station manager Matt Burrows said: “The resident acted quickly and did exactly the right thing. Upon hearing her smoke alarm and discovering the fire, she got out, closed the door behind her and called 999.
“Around 60 people left the building before the arrival of the Brigade. A number of further residents remained in their unaffected flats.”
You may also want to watch:
One man had to be led to safety from his ninth floor flat by firefighters wearing breathing apparatus, as did a woman who was on the 11th floor. Both were treated at the scene by medics.
Crews from Homerton, Bethnal Green, Stoke Newington, Shoreditch and Islington were sent to the scene and brought the fire under control by 9.20am.
- 1 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 2 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 3 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 4 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 5 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 6 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 7 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 10 Hackney writer creates web series to deter young people from "street life"
The cause of the fire is under investigation.