Unattended Hanukkah menorah causes house fire in Stamford Hill

PUBLISHED: 12:10 21 December 2017 | UPDATED: 12:10 21 December 2017

The blaze damaged the ground floor of the house in Stamford Hill. Picture: London Fire Brigade

The blaze damaged the ground floor of the house in Stamford Hill. Picture: London Fire Brigade


A Hanukkah menorah left unattended caused a house fire in Stamford Hill on Tuesday night.

The blaze was discovered after a neighbour heard a smoke alarm while the homeowners were out at a nearby synagogue.

It damaged the lounge and hallway of the house but no one was injured. Investigators say it was started due to the oil burners being left unattended.

Crews were called just after 10.30pm. Four engines and 21 firefighters were sent from Stoke Newington and Tottenham and the fire was under control in half an hour.

Watch manager Graham Beers, who was at the scene, said: “Candles, incense and oil burners are one of the most common causes of fire within homes It’s really important that you never leave a candle unattended and keep them away from curtains and anything else that can easily catch fire.

“It is also vitally important to have smoke alarms in your property. Everyone should have at least one working smoke alarm on every level of their home. This will give the earliest warning if there is a fire.

“As a minimum you should have smoke alarms on every floor - in the hallways and the rooms you use the most, plus a heat alarm in the kitchen.”

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Hackney Gazette. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Hackney Gazette