Unattended Hanukkah menorah causes house fire in Stamford Hill
- Credit: Archant
A Hanukkah menorah left unattended caused a house fire in Stamford Hill on Tuesday night.
The blaze was discovered after a neighbour heard a smoke alarm while the homeowners were out at a nearby synagogue.
It damaged the lounge and hallway of the house but no one was injured. Investigators say it was started due to the oil burners being left unattended.
Crews were called just after 10.30pm. Four engines and 21 firefighters were sent from Stoke Newington and Tottenham and the fire was under control in half an hour.
Watch manager Graham Beers, who was at the scene, said: “Candles, incense and oil burners are one of the most common causes of fire within homes It’s really important that you never leave a candle unattended and keep them away from curtains and anything else that can easily catch fire.
You may also want to watch:
“It is also vitally important to have smoke alarms in your property. Everyone should have at least one working smoke alarm on every level of their home. This will give the earliest warning if there is a fire.
“As a minimum you should have smoke alarms on every floor - in the hallways and the rooms you use the most, plus a heat alarm in the kitchen.”
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 6 Newington Green's Meeting House to stream concert series for Mary Wollstonecraft's 262nd Birthday
- 7 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 8 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 9 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 10 Calls for black women's voices to also be heard in light of Sarah Everard death