Mare Street explosions: Street shut as electrical fire ‘causes loud bang outside Hackney Town Hall’
- Credit: Archant
Flames erupted from manhole covers outside Hackney Town Hall after two underground electrical explosions this morning.
Mare Street is shut while emergency services get the situation under control.
They were called at 9.35am after reports of a loud bang and fire coming from manhole covers.
No injuries have been reported.
“Police were called at approximately 9.35am to reports of two explosions underneath manhole covers in the vicinity of Mare Street, Hackney,” said a Scotland Yard spokesman.
You may also want to watch:
London Fire Brigade said they had been called to a “fire at an electrical junction box at pavement level” at the junction with Reading Lane and had one fire crew on the scene.
A spokesman for UK Power Networks, which owns power lines in and around the capital, said: “We were requested by the emergency services to attend an incident at the junction of Mare Street and Reading Lane in Hackney at 9.51 this morning.
- 1 Hackney Wick bar and restaurant opens with Two More Years to go
- 2 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 3 Legendary east London graffiti pub to reopen after 26 years
- 4 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 5 Stamford Hill North and Shoreditch hardest hit during Covid waves
- 6 Residents report losing sleep over Broadway Market drinkers and idling minicab engines
- 7 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 8 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 9 Letter: Facilities needed to make LTNs work
- 10 Call for spare rooms and properties to help homeless people off the streets
“Our engineers are assisting the authorities investigating at the scene.”