Mare Street explosions: Street shut as electrical fire ‘causes loud bang outside Hackney Town Hall’
- Credit: Archant
Flames erupted from manhole covers outside Hackney Town Hall after two underground electrical explosions this morning.
Mare Street is shut while emergency services get the situation under control.
They were called at 9.35am after reports of a loud bang and fire coming from manhole covers.
No injuries have been reported.
“Police were called at approximately 9.35am to reports of two explosions underneath manhole covers in the vicinity of Mare Street, Hackney,” said a Scotland Yard spokesman.
You may also want to watch:
London Fire Brigade said they had been called to a “fire at an electrical junction box at pavement level” at the junction with Reading Lane and had one fire crew on the scene.
A spokesman for UK Power Networks, which owns power lines in and around the capital, said: “We were requested by the emergency services to attend an incident at the junction of Mare Street and Reading Lane in Hackney at 9.51 this morning.
- 1 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 2 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 3 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 4 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 5 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 6 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 7 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 8 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 9 Homerton High Street attack: Man in his 50s stabbed in the back
- 10 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
“Our engineers are assisting the authorities investigating at the scene.”