UPDATE A106 Victoria Park Road closed this morning after clash between armed officers and van driver
Suspect arrested after clash which caused congestion misery
THE ROAD traffic incident that caused long tailbacks for commuters near Victoria Park this morning was caused by a clash between armed police officers and the driver of a suspected stolen van, it has emerged.
Officers from Trojan, Scotland Yard’s elite armed response unit, were chasing down a man driving a van thought to have been stolen from the Islington area at 5.18am, when the suspect rammed their vehicle three times at the junction between Victoria Park Road and Danesdale Road.
During the unrest, officers reportedly used a Taser gun to restrain the man.
He was arrested and taken to a north London police station.
You may also want to watch:
The aftermath of the incident caused traffic chaos this morning (Monday) with commuters stuck in long tailbacks as they rushed to work.
The A106 Victoria Park Road was closed from 5.40am until mid-morning, with congestion stretching along the A106 Wick Road to the junction between A12 East Cross Road and Bartrip Street.
- 1 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 2 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 3 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 4 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 5 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 6 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 7 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 8 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 9 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 10 Woman arrested over London Fields shooting that left innocent bystander paralysed
Victoria Park Road was open again by 12.30pm, according to police.
Where you affected by the chaos?