UPDATE A106 Victoria Park Road closed this morning after clash between armed officers and van driver
Suspect arrested after clash which caused congestion misery
THE ROAD traffic incident that caused long tailbacks for commuters near Victoria Park this morning was caused by a clash between armed police officers and the driver of a suspected stolen van, it has emerged.
Officers from Trojan, Scotland Yard’s elite armed response unit, were chasing down a man driving a van thought to have been stolen from the Islington area at 5.18am, when the suspect rammed their vehicle three times at the junction between Victoria Park Road and Danesdale Road.
During the unrest, officers reportedly used a Taser gun to restrain the man.
He was arrested and taken to a north London police station.
You may also want to watch:
The aftermath of the incident caused traffic chaos this morning (Monday) with commuters stuck in long tailbacks as they rushed to work.
The A106 Victoria Park Road was closed from 5.40am until mid-morning, with congestion stretching along the A106 Wick Road to the junction between A12 East Cross Road and Bartrip Street.
- 1 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 2 Hackney Wick floating restaurant wins Catey award
- 3 'It could be a grim Christmas': Brexit blamed for Hackney fuel shortages
- 4 No shortage of energy for runners in the Hackney Half and 5K
- 5 Residents' parking spaces removed for Church Street LTN
- 6 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 7 Meet the Insta-famous Hackney café taking over your feed
- 8 Hackney's pie and mash house son featured on MasterChef
- 9 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 10 Mosaic unveiled at near Finsbury Park station entrance at City North
Victoria Park Road was open again by 12.30pm, according to police.
Where you affected by the chaos?