UPDATE A106 Victoria Park Road closed this morning after clash between armed officers and van driver
Suspect arrested after clash which caused congestion misery
THE ROAD traffic incident that caused long tailbacks for commuters near Victoria Park this morning was caused by a clash between armed police officers and the driver of a suspected stolen van, it has emerged.
Officers from Trojan, Scotland Yard’s elite armed response unit, were chasing down a man driving a van thought to have been stolen from the Islington area at 5.18am, when the suspect rammed their vehicle three times at the junction between Victoria Park Road and Danesdale Road.
During the unrest, officers reportedly used a Taser gun to restrain the man.
He was arrested and taken to a north London police station.
The aftermath of the incident caused traffic chaos this morning (Monday) with commuters stuck in long tailbacks as they rushed to work.
The A106 Victoria Park Road was closed from 5.40am until mid-morning, with congestion stretching along the A106 Wick Road to the junction between A12 East Cross Road and Bartrip Street.
- 1 Man rushed to hospital following Stoke Newington stabbing
- 2 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 3 Dalston delivery drivers demand shelter, safety and 'dignity'
- 4 'We are trying to shift a culture': ending harassment of Hackney school pupils
- 5 Dalston food couriers protest will disrupt deliveries this afternoon
- 6 Woman 'may face life-changing injuries' after Dalston e-scooter crash
- 7 Library of Things opens in Dalston: Steam cleaners, tools and more for rent
- 8 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 9 'Catastrophic consequences': Thousands of unvaccinated could lose work at Homerton Hospital
- 10 Three jailed after 'horrific' revenge attack on teenage boy near Finsbury Park
Victoria Park Road was open again by 12.30pm, according to police.
Where you affected by the chaos?