UPDATE A106 Victoria Park Road closed this morning after clash between armed officers and van driver
Suspect arrested after clash which caused congestion misery
THE ROAD traffic incident that caused long tailbacks for commuters near Victoria Park this morning was caused by a clash between armed police officers and the driver of a suspected stolen van, it has emerged.
Officers from Trojan, Scotland Yard’s elite armed response unit, were chasing down a man driving a van thought to have been stolen from the Islington area at 5.18am, when the suspect rammed their vehicle three times at the junction between Victoria Park Road and Danesdale Road.
During the unrest, officers reportedly used a Taser gun to restrain the man.
He was arrested and taken to a north London police station.
The aftermath of the incident caused traffic chaos this morning (Monday) with commuters stuck in long tailbacks as they rushed to work.
The A106 Victoria Park Road was closed from 5.40am until mid-morning, with congestion stretching along the A106 Wick Road to the junction between A12 East Cross Road and Bartrip Street.
- 1 Guilty: Man lured 2 young girls into garage and sexually abused them
- 2 Patrick Anzy: Three men jailed following Gillett Square murder
- 3 Boy, 15, charged with attempted murder of woman out riding bike
- 4 Inside east London's new £30m Olympic-size ice centre
- 5 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 6 Boy charged with 3 offences after series of Hackney Marshes sex assaults
- 7 Hackney woman in court over 'chasing down' BBC journalist at lockdown rally
- 8 Hackney festival celebrating Turkish and Kurdish culture returns
- 9 Boy, 16, in custody after spate of sexual assaults in Hackney Marshes
- 10 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
Victoria Park Road was open again by 12.30pm, according to police.
Where you affected by the chaos?