UPDATE A106 Victoria Park Road closed this morning after clash between armed officers and van driver
Suspect arrested after clash which caused congestion misery
THE ROAD traffic incident that caused long tailbacks for commuters near Victoria Park this morning was caused by a clash between armed police officers and the driver of a suspected stolen van, it has emerged.
Officers from Trojan, Scotland Yard’s elite armed response unit, were chasing down a man driving a van thought to have been stolen from the Islington area at 5.18am, when the suspect rammed their vehicle three times at the junction between Victoria Park Road and Danesdale Road.
During the unrest, officers reportedly used a Taser gun to restrain the man.
He was arrested and taken to a north London police station.
You may also want to watch:
The aftermath of the incident caused traffic chaos this morning (Monday) with commuters stuck in long tailbacks as they rushed to work.
The A106 Victoria Park Road was closed from 5.40am until mid-morning, with congestion stretching along the A106 Wick Road to the junction between A12 East Cross Road and Bartrip Street.
- 1 Man's face lacerated in Lower Clapton stabbing
- 2 Hackney 'rising star' nominated for BAFTA
- 3 Alleged organiser of illegal Hackney music event faces £10,000 fine
- 4 'Largest cannabis farm we've ever seen,' say Homerton police
- 5 Baby Edward: Police confirm biological mother was found
- 6 Hackney runner marking eight years since losing his dad to Prostate Cancer with charity run
- 7 Swimmers in Hackney and Islington raise money to save their club
- 8 Speaker sets up walk to support Hackney Foodbank after demand surges
- 9 'So many characters': Lockdown portraits on display
- 10 Facebook bans breastfeeding campaign ads starring Hackney mum
Victoria Park Road was open again by 12.30pm, according to police.
Where you affected by the chaos?