UPDATE: Elderly woman killed in Lower Clapton Road collision named
The elderly woman who was killed under the wheels of a large lorry in Lower Clapton Road on Wednesday morning (March 9) has been named.
Rose Elizabeth Furlong was walking near the junction with Urswick Road when she was knocked down shortly before 10.35am.
The 83-year-old, who lived nearby in Lower Clapton, was pronounced dead at the scene.
A shop worker who witnessed the accident said: “It was a big, big lorry that went over her and then the car behind went over her too. I don’t think either of them saw her though until people started running over and screaming.
“It is a dangerous crossing. The lorry was turning right into Urswick Road and this all happened in front of us at about 10.30 this morning. I thought it was not real. We were screaming and my colleague is just in shock. It’s terrible.”
You may also want to watch:
A 54-year-old man who was arrested following the collision has been released on bail to return in June pending further enquiries.
A police spokeswoman has denied reports that a baby was also injured in the crash.
- 1 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 2 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 3 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 4 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 5 'Betrayal of Tottenham Hotspur': fans slam European Super League plan
- 6 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 7 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 8 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 9 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 10 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
Urswick Road and Homerton High Street were closed in both directions for much of Wednesday, causing traffic queues across Hackney Central.