Upper Clapton family taken to hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning after leak in block of flats
- Credit: Archant
A family was rescued from a block of flats in Upper Clapton and taken to hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning this morning.
Firefighters were called to reports of raised carbon monoxide levels at a block of flats in Hawkwood Mount just before 3.40am.
Two women and two children were led to safety by medics before being taken to hospital, while five other people managed to escape from a second affected flat.
A full sweep of the building led to another six people evacuating their homes. The block was ventilated until it was deemed safe for them to return two hours later.
Some 20 firefighters and two rescue units were sent to the scene. Watch manager Graham Beers said: “Carbon monoxide fumes are silent, highly poisonous fumes that are produced by the incomplete burning of fossil fuels. You can’t taste, see or smell CO fumes, but it can kill in minutes. It is vital you have carbon monoxide alarms in your home.”