Search

Upper Clapton family taken to hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning after leak in block of flats

PUBLISHED: 15:57 07 January 2019

Hawkwood Mount in Upper Clapton. Picture: Google Maps

Hawkwood Mount in Upper Clapton. Picture: Google Maps

Archant

A family was rescued from a block of flats in Upper Clapton and taken to hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning this morning.

Firefighters were called to reports of raised carbon monoxide levels at a block of flats in Hawkwood Mount just before 3.40am.

Two women and two children were led to safety by medics before being taken to hospital, while five other people managed to escape from a second affected flat.

A full sweep of the building led to another six people evacuating their homes. The block was ventilated until it was deemed safe for them to return two hours later.

Some 20 firefighters and two rescue units were sent to the scene. Watch manager Graham Beers said: “Carbon monoxide fumes are silent, highly poisonous fumes that are produced by the incomplete burning of fossil fuels. You can’t taste, see or smell CO fumes, but it can kill in minutes. It is vital you have carbon monoxide alarms in your home.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Hackney Gazette. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Hackney Gazette