Uproar over second consultation for controversial Sainsbury’s Stoke Newington development
Concerns have been raised about the openness of the consultation for the controversial Sainsbury’s development in Stoke Newington.
Green Party campaigns co-ordinator Mustafa Korel is up in arms after he was refused entry to the consultation tent in Wilmer Place for not supplying his home address.
Developer Newmark Properties amended its plans after campaign group Stokey Local pushed them to alter the proposals, and held a second consultation last week.
“Call me old fashioned, but I refuse to sign away my address, especially when there is no data protection statement or a description, in writing, explaining what Four Communications and Newmark Group intend to do with my details,” said Mr Korel who stood as Cllr for the Green party in Hackney Central ward last month.
“These are at odds of my view of what a public consultation should be about which is inclusivity and an open process, rather the intimidation I felt from their employee who stood in my way to block my entry and told me, “I want to know who you are before I let you in.”
You may also want to watch:
Through a statement released by PR firm Four Communications, a spokesman for Newmark Properties said they asked for names and addresses at consutations so they can make sure they are “consulting with people from the local area, so that people can receive more information if they choose to and so that we can help ensure the safety of the public and staff at our events.
“All the attendees at the exhibition so far agreed to do this and we explained the reasons to Mr Korel,” he added.
- 1 Man dies after reports of shooting in Dalston
- 2 Boat party organiser pleads guilty to breaking Covid rules during lockdown
- 3 All Points East: Meet east London artist Olivia Dean
- 4 'The pressure is intense': Hoxton vegan chef competes in Great British Menu
- 5 Election 2021: Hackney by-election results revealed
- 6 What can open in Hackney when lockdown rules ease on May 17?
- 7 London Fields: Woman's cheekbone fractured in broad daylight attack
- 8 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 9 Hackney New School to complain to Ofcom over damning ITV report
- 10 London elections 2021 live: Latest results as they come in
Almost 300 people attended the exhibition to see the changes which include making the development car free, providing more new homes, including more affordable units and reducing the size of the Sainsbury’s foodstore by a third.
To find out more about the plans see www.wilmerplace.com