Urswick School recognised for academic success with Gold Club status
- Credit: Archant
The Urswick School has been awarded the prestigious Gold Club status as part of a new scheme from the Mayor of London to recognize exceptional schools in the capital.
The school in Paragon Road is one of just seven per cent in the capital to achieve the status, which is part of the Mayor’s drive to raise attainment for pupils.
The Gold Club celebrates schools that are achieving academic success with all their pupils, and particularly those who may be affected by circumstances that could have an impact on their learning.
In highlighting schools that are bucking the trend, particularly those with children on Pupil Premium or previously low attainment, the aim is to inspire others in London to strive for similar academic success.
Headteacher, Richard Brown, said: “Being awarded London Schools Gold Club status is fantastic recognition of the work we do.
“Our students make exceptional achievements, whatever their starting points, especially those students who live or have lived in poverty”.
Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, said: “Congratulations to The Urswick School. The Gold Club is based on the belief that all schools can aspire to attain excellence for all their pupils, whatever their circumstances.
- 1 All you need to know about Hackney Half and Hackney Moves
- 2 Travel bulletin: Islington, Hackney, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 3 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 4 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 5 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 6 By-election after Hackney Labour councillor resigns
- 7 Demolition begins to make way for Hoxton homes
- 8 Speeding driver who killed elderly man in hit and run found guilty
- 9 Kids join police as 20 speed tickets given out
- 10 Three men convicted for Dalston shooting
“London schools are already doing well when compared to the rest of the country, but each of our Gold Club schools is making even greater strides with their pupils”.