Van Der Vaart: Spurs must not sell their best players
Dutchman desperate for duo to remain at White Hart Lane
Tottenham midfielder Rafael van der Vaart says the club must do all they can to keep star players Luka Modric and Gareth Bale.
The pair have been linked with moves away from White Hart Lane, with London rivals Chelsea offering �22million for Modric, which was rejected by Spurs.
The Dutch forward believes the squad will struggle to improve and regain a place in the Champions League if the pair are sold to their rivals.
“As a player you want to improve every year but the important thing is to help the team. If we stay together we have a good squad,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“If someone wants to leave it’s difficult to keep them. When a player is unhappy it’s not a good thing.
“Luka and (Gareth) Bale don’t play for money - they play to win something. If they have to go to another club it’s their decision. But I hope they stay because they are fantastic and really important for the club.
- 1 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 2 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 3 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 4 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 5 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 6 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 7 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers
- 10 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
“Drop too many points and you don’t deserve to be in the Champions League. So next season we are going to focus on the Europa League.”