Van Der Vaart: Spurs must not sell their best players
Dutchman desperate for duo to remain at White Hart Lane
Tottenham midfielder Rafael van der Vaart says the club must do all they can to keep star players Luka Modric and Gareth Bale.
The pair have been linked with moves away from White Hart Lane, with London rivals Chelsea offering �22million for Modric, which was rejected by Spurs.
The Dutch forward believes the squad will struggle to improve and regain a place in the Champions League if the pair are sold to their rivals.
“As a player you want to improve every year but the important thing is to help the team. If we stay together we have a good squad,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“If someone wants to leave it’s difficult to keep them. When a player is unhappy it’s not a good thing.
“Luka and (Gareth) Bale don’t play for money - they play to win something. If they have to go to another club it’s their decision. But I hope they stay because they are fantastic and really important for the club.
- 1 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 4 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 5 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 6 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 7 Hackney postal voters urged to reapply after cyber-attack
- 8 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 9 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
“Drop too many points and you don’t deserve to be in the Champions League. So next season we are going to focus on the Europa League.”