Van Der Vaart: Spurs must not sell their best players
Dutchman desperate for duo to remain at White Hart Lane
Tottenham midfielder Rafael van der Vaart says the club must do all they can to keep star players Luka Modric and Gareth Bale.
The pair have been linked with moves away from White Hart Lane, with London rivals Chelsea offering �22million for Modric, which was rejected by Spurs.
The Dutch forward believes the squad will struggle to improve and regain a place in the Champions League if the pair are sold to their rivals.
“As a player you want to improve every year but the important thing is to help the team. If we stay together we have a good squad,” he said.
“If someone wants to leave it’s difficult to keep them. When a player is unhappy it’s not a good thing.
“Luka and (Gareth) Bale don’t play for money - they play to win something. If they have to go to another club it’s their decision. But I hope they stay because they are fantastic and really important for the club.
- 1 Boy, 15, charged with attempted murder of woman out riding bike
- 2 Boy charged with 3 offences after series of Hackney Marshes sex assaults
- 3 Police launch probe into Stamford Hill flat blaze
- 4 Boy, 16, in custody after spate of sexual assaults in Hackney Marshes
- 5 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 6 Covid admissions on the rise at north London hospitals
- 7 Census 2021: What has changed in your borough since 2011?
- 8 Ben & Jerry's ice cream sold at Sainsbury's recalled due to health concerns
- 9 Met defends Israeli police visit to Hackney
- 10 Wanted: Suspect sought after series of sexual assaults in Hackney Marshes area
“Drop too many points and you don’t deserve to be in the Champions League. So next season we are going to focus on the Europa League.”