Van Der Vaart: Spurs must not sell their best players
Dutchman desperate for duo to remain at White Hart Lane
Tottenham midfielder Rafael van der Vaart says the club must do all they can to keep star players Luka Modric and Gareth Bale.
The pair have been linked with moves away from White Hart Lane, with London rivals Chelsea offering �22million for Modric, which was rejected by Spurs.
The Dutch forward believes the squad will struggle to improve and regain a place in the Champions League if the pair are sold to their rivals.
“As a player you want to improve every year but the important thing is to help the team. If we stay together we have a good squad,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“If someone wants to leave it’s difficult to keep them. When a player is unhappy it’s not a good thing.
“Luka and (Gareth) Bale don’t play for money - they play to win something. If they have to go to another club it’s their decision. But I hope they stay because they are fantastic and really important for the club.
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 3 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 4 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 5 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 6 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 7 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 8 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 9 Hackney residents plan to make noise for more representative voting systems
- 10 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
“Drop too many points and you don’t deserve to be in the Champions League. So next season we are going to focus on the Europa League.”