Vertonghen keeping counsel over Spurs contract situation
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Tottenham defender Jan Vertonghen refused to be drawn on his contract negotiations ahead of Spurs’ Champions League clash against Bayern Munich.
The Belgium international, 32, is in the final year of his deal and was absent from the line-up early in the season as rumours lingered of a move overseas.
Vertonghen said: "I would prefer not to go too deep into that but there is always some movement.
"I am very ambitious, I feel like I have a couple of good years left in me. I hope I can help the team.
"It is my eighth season here, I have had a great past and I am feeling great in every single way here, that is all I want to say on that."
Vertonghen also played down rumours of dressing room unrest, with the likes of Toby Alderweireld and Christian Eriksen also the subjects of recurring transfer speculation while manager Mauricio Pochettino spoke last week of having "an unsettled squad" with "different agendas".
Vertonghen, who helped 10-man Spurs beat Southampton 2-1 at the weekend, said: "I am not going too much into that, the mood at this point is good.
- 1 'Catastrophic consequences': Thousands of unvaccinated could lose work at Homerton Hospital
- 2 Man rushed to hospital following Stoke Newington stabbing
- 3 Dalston delivery drivers demand shelter, safety and 'dignity'
- 4 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 5 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 6 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 7 Woman 'may face life-changing injuries' after Dalston e-scooter crash
- 8 Three jailed after 'horrific' revenge attack on teenage boy near Finsbury Park
- 9 Library of Things opens in Dalston: Steam cleaners, tools and more for rent
- 10 Man's head and hand slashed in Hackney knife attack
"It was a good win on Saturday, we showed who we really are."
Pochettino insisted Vertonghen remains an "important" figure for Spurs.
"I am open to everything, but that is a dealing between the club, him and his agent. Let's see what happens," he said of the contract negotiations.
"Jan is always an important part of my project. That feeling isn't going to change."