Veterans march in memory of fallen comrades
Remembrance Day services pay tribute to war dead
War veterans will march through Hackney on Sunday morning to remember those who gave their lives in two world wars as well as more recent conflicts.
It will be one of a number of services held across the borough to remember Hackney’s war dead.
Members of the Hackney Branch of the Royal British Legion, Normandy Veterans , and members of the Association of Jewish Ex-Servicemen and Women, will lead the parade from Hackney town hall in Mare Street to St John at Hackney church in Lower Clapton Road.
The Speaker of Hackney, Cllr Sally Mulready, will take part in the procession along with other local dignitaries and after a service of remembrance will join veterans, cadets and reservists in laying a wreath of poppies at the cenotaph in the churchyard.
You may also want to watch:
Afterwards the procession will makes its way back to Hackney town hall where a salute will be taken on the steps by the Queen’s representative to Hackney, Lieutenant Col Roderick Morriss, and local dignitaries, before a wreath is placed at the war memorial in the town hall square.
The Deputy Speaker, Cllr Linda Kelly, will take attend a service at St Leonard’s Church, Shoreditch High Street, where she will place a wreath on behalf of the Council at the Church memorial. She will also lay a wreath in the vestibule of Stoke Newington Library, Stoke Newington Church Street.
- 1 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 2 Your Paper, Your Voice: We want to hear from you
- 3 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Roads, Museum of the Home, Living Wage and child exploitation
- 6 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 7 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 8 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 9 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 10 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12