Victoria Park Singers choir raises over £2700 for Hackney Winter Night Shelter
- Credit: Genevieve Girling
The Victoria Park Singers community choir has raised over £2,700 for the Hackney Winter Night Shelter at their annual winter concert.
To raise the funds for the shelter - where several members of the choir volunteer in their spare time - they performed a programme of traditional carols and winter classics to a full house at St Annes in Limehouse.
Hannah Brine, musical director of the choir that rehearses at Lauriston School in Victoria Park, is thrilled to have raised so much.
"It is such an important cause and we hope that the money will make a real difference to the wellbeing of people who are using the shelter this winter," she said. "I'm so proud of all my singers."
Andrea Daniels, chair of the trustees of Hackney Winter Night Shelter, who gave a talk at the event, said: "It was such a beautiful evening, and I am humbled and grateful for the amount raised.
You may also want to watch:
"This will make a huge difference to the running of the night shelter this year, and help us to provide a safe place to stay for rough sleepers over the cold winter months."
Open for five months each year, November to March, the shelter provides dinner, bedding and breakfast for dozens in Hackney who would otherwise be on the streets.
- 1 Hackney had worst knife crime rate in London, report finds
- 2 Dalston revealed as Hackney's top hotspot for weapons offences
- 3 Man attacked with metal pole in Clapton
- 4 Hackney man, 22, died struggling to breathe in prison cell for eight minutes
- 5 Hackney sees house prices boom by more than 108 per cent over ten years
- 6 Hackney leaders welcome Mayor Khan's ULEZ expansion
- 7 'I think religion is a way for people to live meaningfully together': New Rabbi embraces Stoke Newington
- 8 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 9 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
- 10 Man wanted after alleged sexual offence in Hackney