Victory for barred chairman of Hackney trade union
The former chairman of Hackney Unison has won his case against the national town hall workers’ union after being barred in 2009.
Brian Debus was disciplined along with three colleagues for distributing a leaflet challenging Unison’s leadership.
They were suspended for three years after Unison found him guilty of undermining the ‘integrity of the Standing Orders Committee’.
Outraged supporters held protests against the barring of Mr Debus and his colleagues, Glenn Kelly, Onay Kasab and Suzanne Muna, branding it a “political witch hunt”.
A judge ruled at Central London Employment Tribunal on January 27 that Unison had been wrong to discipline the activists.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Debus said: “I have been appalled at the enormous amount of time and money that has been wasted on this case. Unison should be defending its members at what is likely to be the most difficult time for public sector workers in a generation but instead it has focused its efforts on disciplining hard working activists.”
Mr Debus and his colleagues are now waiting the hear whether Unison will allow them to rejoin the Hackney branch, which represents 2,500 council workers, following the tribunal’s decision.
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 4 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 5 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 6 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 7 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 8 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 9 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 10 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service