View from a comedian: Mask fashion and schooling
Good luck to any children who have gone back to school.
I know the schools have gone back because I have seen buses that say School Bus on them, and a new phenomenon of some buses that say No School Children in the window.
It’s the kind of segregation I have always dreamed of. It is nice to know I can get on a bus without fear of meeting a large group of young ones playing Cardi B out of their phones.
It’s daunting enough to start a new school year, so I can only imagine what it must be like for the latest cohort entering the next stage of their education.
I worried about making friends. It must be even harder when you have to wear a face mask.
You may also want to watch:
You can’t see if they’re smiling at you if you’re bonding, and if you make a friend, how can you recognise them again because you only saw their eyes?
We used to worry about bullies. Right now in school the pupils have to worry about catching a virus. My father would say: “Stand up for yourself and fight back. Never start a fight but be ready to finish one.” That advice isn’t going to help you fight off a virus. In fact, getting your fists involved in anything will only mean you need more hand sanitiser.
- 1 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 4 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 5 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 6 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 7 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 8 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 9 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school
- 10 Tote bags help tackle homelessness and addiction
We were worried about looking fashionable but we didn’t have mask fashion to worry about.
I have found a very comfortable mask, which my other half tells me looks like a reinforced gusset. If you wear something like that in school you’d never live it down.
Best of luck to you if you’re at school. Try your best, work hard, and be nice to your teacher. They might be the ones guessing your exam grades in the future.