Want to grow your own food in Hackney? Capital Growth can help.
Hackney now has more food growing sites than any other London borough, as more and more residents opt to grow their own food.
There are now 125 Capital Growth food growing sites in the borough, but the campaign wants to create 2012 new community food growing spaces across London by the end of the year.
Capital Growth is a partnership between sustainable food partnership London Food Link, the Mayor of London Boris Johnson, and the Big Lottery’s Local Food Fund.
Community and volunteer groups who want to grow their own food can get practical help and training from Capital Growth.
Hackney Council and Hackney Homes have also pledged to support food-growing projects as part of the campaign.
You may also want to watch:
“Growing your own food is a great way to teach your children about healthy eating and it can save you money,” said Jonathan McShane, the council’s cabinet member for health, social care and culture.
“If there is a disused open space near you, why not set up a food growing project? Soon you could be eating food you’ve grown yourself.”
- 1 Covid cases drop in Hackney for the first time since May
- 2 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 3 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 4 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 5 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 6 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 7 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 8 Hackney this weekend: A Jerk festival, bingo with a twist and more
- 9 Two new sixth forms planned for Islington and Hackney
- 10 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
To find out more or apply for a grant visit www.capitalgrowth.org/apply/ or call 020 7837 1228.
Visit www.hackney.gov.uk/parks-local-food-growing for more information and details on all the sites across Hackney.