Do you remember this blazing inferno on the Regent's Canal?
- Credit: Paul Wood
These pictures show a dramatic blaze on the Regent’s Canal engulfing a warehouse - but mystery surrounds when they were taken or who snapped them.
Thick smoke can be seen to billow across the canal from a warehouse in Wharf Place next to Bethnal Green gasworks.
Emergency crews tackle it on two sides - from Wharf Place and the other side of the canal at Andrews Road in London Fields.
They would likely have turned up from fire stations such as Bethnal Green, Bow, Shoreditch, Kingsland, Hackney and Stoke Newington.
A mystery onlooker probably took the snaps in the 1970s or 80s. Paul Wood, who was a freelance photographer for the local press in the 1980s who has a keen interest in archive pictures from fire stations, is appealing for the person to come forward.
You may also want to watch:
“These photos are a great picture of times gone by," he said. "They were handed to a retired fireman last week who served in the area back then. It would be nice to add the details if anyone can recall anything about the fire.”
A pensioner, who had found the photos at home, dropped them off at Stoke Newington Fire Station on Sunday, March 21.
- 1 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 2 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 3 Your Paper, Your Voice: We want to hear from you
- 4 'Betrayal of Tottenham Hotspur': fans slam European Super League plan
- 5 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 6 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 7 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 8 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 9 Roads, Museum of the Home, Living Wage and child exploitation
- 10 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta