We have one of the best squads in Spurs history, says Bassong
SEBASTIEN Bassong believes that Tottenham currently have one of the best squads in their history after yesterday’s victory over Liverpool.
Reds defender Martin Skrtel scored at both ends and Aaron Lennon struck an injury-time winner last night as Spurs came from behind to win for the fifth time this season.
Cameroon international Bassong replaced the injured Younes Kaboul in the first half at White Hart Lane, making two crucial challenges to deny Fernando Torres.
And the 24-year-old believes that the Lilywhites’ strength in depth and never-say attitude both came to the fore in last night’s win, which took Spurs’ winning run to four games in league and Champions League.
“It was a great finish, I’m really happy for Aaron. We knew that he is a wonderful player, and with him on one side and Gareth [Bale] on the other we’ve got two magnificent players,” said Bassong.
“This year I reckon we’ve got one of the best squads Spurs have ever had, so it’s up to us now. There’s a big competition in the team, which is maybe making us improve ourselves. It’s a good thing.
“If we want to do well this year we need a lot of good players, and that’s what we’ve got in the team. I’ve been working, I’ve never stopped working in training, and if the manager needs me I’ll be ready to play.
- 1 Man in 'life-threatening' condition after Hackney shooting
- 2 Ongoing gas leak after fire and explosion in Shoreditch
- 3 Housing plan for De Beauvoir estate approved – despite environmental concerns
- 4 Hackney Central: 25 flee from flats as fire breaks out in shop below
- 5 Police appeal for witnesses after Finsbury Park stabbing
- 6 Hackney hostel murder: Man jailed for repeatedly stamping on victim's head
- 7 Top Hackney cop moves on to get the force out of special measures
- 8 No Stansted Express trains for five days in August
- 9 Appeal: Victims feel 'extremely vulnerable' after bus sexual assaults
- 10 New book lists best outdoor swimming spots around London
“We’ve also got a strong character, a good spirit in the team. When we are 1-0 down we still think we can win the game and that’s a good quality to have. If we can carry on like that until the end of the season, we’ll see where we can go.
“We don’t have to talk about our ability, we’ve got a wonderful squad with great players. We’re going to keep working and then you never know what can happen in football. Can we win the title? Why not.”