We have one of the best squads in Spurs history, says Bassong
SEBASTIEN Bassong believes that Tottenham currently have one of the best squads in their history after yesterday’s victory over Liverpool.
Reds defender Martin Skrtel scored at both ends and Aaron Lennon struck an injury-time winner last night as Spurs came from behind to win for the fifth time this season.
Cameroon international Bassong replaced the injured Younes Kaboul in the first half at White Hart Lane, making two crucial challenges to deny Fernando Torres.
And the 24-year-old believes that the Lilywhites’ strength in depth and never-say attitude both came to the fore in last night’s win, which took Spurs’ winning run to four games in league and Champions League.
“It was a great finish, I’m really happy for Aaron. We knew that he is a wonderful player, and with him on one side and Gareth [Bale] on the other we’ve got two magnificent players,” said Bassong.
“This year I reckon we’ve got one of the best squads Spurs have ever had, so it’s up to us now. There’s a big competition in the team, which is maybe making us improve ourselves. It’s a good thing.
“If we want to do well this year we need a lot of good players, and that’s what we’ve got in the team. I’ve been working, I’ve never stopped working in training, and if the manager needs me I’ll be ready to play.
- 1 Hackney strip bar could lose license after breaching Covid rules
- 2 Eight drivers arrested and 22 vehicles seized in Stoke Newington crackdown
- 3 More details emerge on antisemitic attack in Stamford Hill
- 4 'Nail-biting situation': Hundreds of Homerton's staff at risk of dismissal over Covid vaccines
- 5 Hackney mum and brain tumour patient to walk for charity dressed as duck
- 6 Teenager charged after Jewish men attacked in Stamford Hill
- 7 Wanted man may be in Hackney
- 8 Two Jewish men hospitalised day before Holocaust Memorial Day
- 9 Hackney has the best Wi-Fi in London, according to travellers
- 10 Clapton football club campaigns to kick gambling out of football
“We’ve also got a strong character, a good spirit in the team. When we are 1-0 down we still think we can win the game and that’s a good quality to have. If we can carry on like that until the end of the season, we’ll see where we can go.
“We don’t have to talk about our ability, we’ve got a wonderful squad with great players. We’re going to keep working and then you never know what can happen in football. Can we win the title? Why not.”