Parliament could have a ‘Hackney day’ where hungry MPs are served food and drink made here
- Credit: Archant
Food and drink produced by Hackney firms could soon be dished up at the canteen in Parliament after Diane Abbott invited a group of cooks and brewers to Westminster.
MPs, Lords and staff tasted samples from craft beer makers Crate Brewery, Hackney Brewery, 40ft and the Five Points Brewing Company, along with Violet Cakes, Hansen & Lydersen smoked salmon, Soffles roasted pitta chips and Dalston Cola at the “Hackney Craft Beer and Food Fair”.
Ms Abbott, who is MP for Hackney North and Stoke Newington, said: “At Parliament we’ve had a Shropshire day, a Lincoln day, an Aberystwyth day.
“We knew Hackney had such great produce so we thought we’d have a Hackney day. The buyer from Parliament is keen to stock something.”
Craft beer accounted for the majority of the stalls at the event, held yesterday in the Jubilee Room.
You may also want to watch:
Ms Abbott told the Gazette: “In the past few years there’s been an explosion in growth in craft breweries in Hackney – it’s partly because Hackney is a young borough and it has a relaxation culture in the bars and coffee bars.
“The thing about craft beer is it’s not just people who want to drink pints and pints and get plastered – people like me, respectable middle-aged ladies, like to go out and have a nice glass of beer, and it amazes me how it’s taken off. People say to me: ‘Has Brexit or downturn affected it?’ – but people still go out and drink beer.”
- 1 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 2 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 3 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 4 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 5 £3m Hackney Central station revamp begins
- 6 Scenes from Ridley Road Market during lockdown captured by photographer
- 7 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 8 Calling anyone born on this day in 1982 for a documentary
- 9 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 10 Twenty-five firefighters put out blaze at a Hackney shop