Parliament could have a ‘Hackney day’ where hungry MPs are served food and drink made here
- Credit: Archant
Food and drink produced by Hackney firms could soon be dished up at the canteen in Parliament after Diane Abbott invited a group of cooks and brewers to Westminster.
MPs, Lords and staff tasted samples from craft beer makers Crate Brewery, Hackney Brewery, 40ft and the Five Points Brewing Company, along with Violet Cakes, Hansen & Lydersen smoked salmon, Soffles roasted pitta chips and Dalston Cola at the “Hackney Craft Beer and Food Fair”.
Ms Abbott, who is MP for Hackney North and Stoke Newington, said: “At Parliament we’ve had a Shropshire day, a Lincoln day, an Aberystwyth day.
“We knew Hackney had such great produce so we thought we’d have a Hackney day. The buyer from Parliament is keen to stock something.”
Craft beer accounted for the majority of the stalls at the event, held yesterday in the Jubilee Room.
You may also want to watch:
Ms Abbott told the Gazette: “In the past few years there’s been an explosion in growth in craft breweries in Hackney – it’s partly because Hackney is a young borough and it has a relaxation culture in the bars and coffee bars.
“The thing about craft beer is it’s not just people who want to drink pints and pints and get plastered – people like me, respectable middle-aged ladies, like to go out and have a nice glass of beer, and it amazes me how it’s taken off. People say to me: ‘Has Brexit or downturn affected it?’ – but people still go out and drink beer.”
- 1 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 6 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 7 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 8 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 9 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 10 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images