Well Street Common’s soccer tournament unites youngsters
Budding Beckhams and footie fanatics pulled on their boots at the 10th annual Well Street Common Festival’s five-a-side football tournament.
The eleven-team tournament, sponsored by not-for-profit housing association Sanctuary Housing, brought together youngsters from local schools and the surrounding area for a day of football-focused fun and healthy competition.
Kicking off the contest on Sunday were teams from the under 11s category, all battling it out to win trophies and the coveted MVP (most valuable player) award.
Skilful tackles and expert dribbling were on show as youngsters from Tower Hamlets’ Juva Youth Project and Gascoyne Estate’s Saraytash Sports reached a closely-contested final on Sunday May 22, with Juva emerging victorious with a 3-0 win.
In the under 14s category, a hard-fought final saw Cardinal Pole All Stars claiming victory over City Academy’s AllStars FC with a 1-0 triumph.
You may also want to watch:
Coach Alex said: “It has been an immense honour and pleasure to reach this milestone and run our 10th tournament, building relationships with local youths and their younger siblings over the years.
“It is our hope that, with the continued support from Sanctuary, these kids will aspire to become positive individuals and role models within the community, using sport as a conduit.”
- 1 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 2 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 3 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 4 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 5 Hackney Wick bar and restaurant opens with Two More Years to go
- 6 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 7 Stamford Hill North and Shoreditch hardest hit during Covid waves
- 8 Two new sixth forms planned for Islington and Hackney
- 9 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 10 Call for spare rooms and properties to help homeless people off the streets