West Ham legend Tony Cottee feels strikers coach could change fortunes
Former star feels appointment could help end the goal drought which has seen club score just one league goal from open play
West Ham legend Tony Cottee believes a strikers coach could help end the club’s goal-scoring woes.
The Hammers have scored only once from open play in the league this season and the East London Advertiser columnist, who made 280 appearances over two spells at the Irons, believes bringing in a former pro to fulfil the role could pay dividends.
“Strikers go through good patches and bad patches and it would be good for the forwards at the club to talk to someone who could maybe give them advice or confidence,” he said.
“Only Spurs have one at the moment and it must be great for a striker to approach someone like Les Ferdinand for advice.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m not saying bring in myself, but someone with experience to help them out.”
And Cottee has sounded at one striker in particular who could really benefit from the move.
- 1 Queens Birthday Honours List 2021: MP Meg Hillier and poet Lemn Sissay among those recognised
- 2 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 3 5 great places in north London to watch England's Euro 2020 campaign
- 4 Woman accused of murdering man in Hackney appears in court
- 5 Diane Abbott to join 'Geffrye Must Fall' protest at museum reopening
- 6 Ridley Road market mask hero helps Hackney people through the pandemic
- 7 The Museum of the Home 'welcomes peaceful protest' over Geffrye statue
- 8 Hackney could lose Dalston ward to Islington under proposed redrawing of electoral map
- 9 Thousands of Hackney's most vulnerable remain unvaccinated as Delta variant cases rise
- 10 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
“Former boss Gianfranco Zola, a striker, was a big factor in helping Carlton Cole improve his game and was someone who instilled a lot of confidence in him, the departure of Zola may have had an impact” the former Barnet boss added.