West Ham trio set to return for Chelsea match
Tal Ben Haim, Winston Reid and Valon Behrami back in contention for Hammers
Tal Ben Haim, Winston Reid and Valon Behrami are in contention for Saturday’s match against Chelsea at Upton Park.
The trio have all been put through their paces at the Chadwell Heath training ground or on international duty and are likely to be available for boss Avram Grant as the Hammers prepare to face the champions.
As is goalkeeper Robert Green who was forced to miss England’s two European Championship qualifiers with a hipproblem.
New loan signing Victor Obinna could make his debut and is available for selection to compete with Freddie Piquionne and Carlton Cole for a starting berth, while deadline day signing Lars Jacobsen is also available.
You may also want to watch:
Two men who are likely to miss out are Danny Gabbidon and Thomas Hitzlsperger.
Defender Gabbidon tweaked his hamstring in training last week and missed Wales’ 1-0 qualifying defeat to Montenegro last Friday.
- 1 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 2 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 3 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 4 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 5 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 6 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 7 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 8 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 9 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school
- 10 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
The former Cardiff player has had problems with his hamstrings in the past, but is likely to be fit for the trip to Stoke the following Saturday.
German midfielder Hitzlsperger has failed to recover from the thigh injury which has kept him out for four weeks, though he may not be back for the trip to the Potteries.
It is likely Grant will assess the fitness of Mexican Pablo Barrerra when he returns to the UK on Friday. The winger played 55 minutes in his countries 1-0 friendly win over Colombia.