What’s on in Hackney
- Credit: Dieter Perry
A short, sharp guide to what’s on in Hackney this festive weekend:
Watch heart-wrenching play Absence following the relationships of two couples. From 8pm, at Ophelia at Lift574, 574 Kingsland Road, E8. Costs £10, call 0207 9239518.
Mellow out to three of the godfathers of European free jazz at a performance of Alex Von Schlippenbach’s Trio with Evan Parker and Paul Lovens. From 8pm, at The Vortex Jazz Club, 11 Gillett Square, N16. From 8pm. Costs £15, 020 7254 4097.
Relive tunes from the 1970s and 1980s at a late-night club night. From 8pm, at The Speakeasy, 176 Stoke Newington Road, N16. Free, email email@example.com.
You may also want to watch:
Pick up organic meat including goose, turkey, beef, home-cured bacon, as well as fresh organic produce, seasonal pickles, jams, chutneys, cakes and homemade beverages at the Stoke Newington Farmers’ Market. From 10am, at West Hackney Recreation Ground, Evering Road, N16. Free, visit www.growingcommunities.org/market.
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 3 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 4 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 5 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 6 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 7 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 8 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 9 Hackney school pupils bag top spots in national architecture competition
- 10 Hackney Council cyberattack: Stolen data published on the dark web
Come along and listen to seasonal stories, sing Christmas songs and make your very own Christmas decoration to take home. From 2.30pm, at Homerton library, Homerton High St, E9. Free, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enjoy a four-course winter banquet with a clear conscience as all food used is salvaged from surplus food from shops and markets. There will be music from Anna Skodbo, Franky and the Jacks and spoken word from Chris Paradox. From 6pm, at Unit 14, Queen’s Yard, White Post Lane, E9. Costs £25, email email@example.com.
Get all your Christmas gifts at a well-loved festive Clapton market including food and handmade and vintage treats. From 11am, at Chatsworth Road, Lower Clapton road, Clapton, E5. Free, visit www.chatsworthroade5.co.uk.
Make your own fun and explore comedy improvisation, for art and for life and develop story-telling, character-building and your own creativity. From 2pm, at Tour de Force Studios, 6 Well Street, E9. Costs £10, call 07751011101.
Enjoy Christmas carols by candlelight with mince pies and mulled wine after the service. From 5pm, at St Michael and All Angels, Lansdowne Drive, E8. Free, call 020 7923 9567.