What’s on in Hackney
- Credit: Dieter Perry
A short, sharp guide to what’s on in Hackney this festive weekend:
Watch heart-wrenching play Absence following the relationships of two couples. From 8pm, at Ophelia at Lift574, 574 Kingsland Road, E8. Costs £10, call 0207 9239518.
Mellow out to three of the godfathers of European free jazz at a performance of Alex Von Schlippenbach’s Trio with Evan Parker and Paul Lovens. From 8pm, at The Vortex Jazz Club, 11 Gillett Square, N16. From 8pm. Costs £15, 020 7254 4097.
Relive tunes from the 1970s and 1980s at a late-night club night. From 8pm, at The Speakeasy, 176 Stoke Newington Road, N16. Free, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may also want to watch:
Pick up organic meat including goose, turkey, beef, home-cured bacon, as well as fresh organic produce, seasonal pickles, jams, chutneys, cakes and homemade beverages at the Stoke Newington Farmers’ Market. From 10am, at West Hackney Recreation Ground, Evering Road, N16. Free, visit www.growingcommunities.org/market.
- 1 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 2 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 3 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 4 Covid cases drop in Hackney for the first time since May
- 5 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 6 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 7 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 8 Two new sixth forms planned for Islington and Hackney
- 9 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 10 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
Come along and listen to seasonal stories, sing Christmas songs and make your very own Christmas decoration to take home. From 2.30pm, at Homerton library, Homerton High St, E9. Free, email email@example.com.
Enjoy a four-course winter banquet with a clear conscience as all food used is salvaged from surplus food from shops and markets. There will be music from Anna Skodbo, Franky and the Jacks and spoken word from Chris Paradox. From 6pm, at Unit 14, Queen’s Yard, White Post Lane, E9. Costs £25, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get all your Christmas gifts at a well-loved festive Clapton market including food and handmade and vintage treats. From 11am, at Chatsworth Road, Lower Clapton road, Clapton, E5. Free, visit www.chatsworthroade5.co.uk.
Make your own fun and explore comedy improvisation, for art and for life and develop story-telling, character-building and your own creativity. From 2pm, at Tour de Force Studios, 6 Well Street, E9. Costs £10, call 07751011101.
Enjoy Christmas carols by candlelight with mince pies and mulled wine after the service. From 5pm, at St Michael and All Angels, Lansdowne Drive, E8. Free, call 020 7923 9567.