What’s on in Hackney
- Credit: Dieter Perry
A short, sharp guide to what’s on in Hackney this festive weekend:
Watch heart-wrenching play Absence following the relationships of two couples. From 8pm, at Ophelia at Lift574, 574 Kingsland Road, E8. Costs £10, call 0207 9239518.
Mellow out to three of the godfathers of European free jazz at a performance of Alex Von Schlippenbach’s Trio with Evan Parker and Paul Lovens. From 8pm, at The Vortex Jazz Club, 11 Gillett Square, N16. From 8pm. Costs £15, 020 7254 4097.
Relive tunes from the 1970s and 1980s at a late-night club night. From 8pm, at The Speakeasy, 176 Stoke Newington Road, N16. Free, email email@example.com.
You may also want to watch:
Pick up organic meat including goose, turkey, beef, home-cured bacon, as well as fresh organic produce, seasonal pickles, jams, chutneys, cakes and homemade beverages at the Stoke Newington Farmers’ Market. From 10am, at West Hackney Recreation Ground, Evering Road, N16. Free, visit www.growingcommunities.org/market.
- 1 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 4 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 6 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 7 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 8 Former East Enders actor takes next career step as a film director
- 9 Hackney remembers Prince Philip after his passing at age 99
- 10 Arsenal legend Kelly Smith says Williamson and Wubben-Moy have the chance to impress for Lionesses
Come along and listen to seasonal stories, sing Christmas songs and make your very own Christmas decoration to take home. From 2.30pm, at Homerton library, Homerton High St, E9. Free, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enjoy a four-course winter banquet with a clear conscience as all food used is salvaged from surplus food from shops and markets. There will be music from Anna Skodbo, Franky and the Jacks and spoken word from Chris Paradox. From 6pm, at Unit 14, Queen’s Yard, White Post Lane, E9. Costs £25, email email@example.com.
Get all your Christmas gifts at a well-loved festive Clapton market including food and handmade and vintage treats. From 11am, at Chatsworth Road, Lower Clapton road, Clapton, E5. Free, visit www.chatsworthroade5.co.uk.
Make your own fun and explore comedy improvisation, for art and for life and develop story-telling, character-building and your own creativity. From 2pm, at Tour de Force Studios, 6 Well Street, E9. Costs £10, call 07751011101.
Enjoy Christmas carols by candlelight with mince pies and mulled wine after the service. From 5pm, at St Michael and All Angels, Lansdowne Drive, E8. Free, call 020 7923 9567.