What’s on in Hackney this weekend
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Images
A short, sharp guide to what’s on in Hackney this weekend:
Celebrate the achievements of some of the most gifted and talented musical students in Hackney at a gala. From 6.30pm, at Hackney Empire, 291 Mare Street, Hackney Central, E8. Costs £12, call 020 8985 2424.
View and buy oil and water colour paintings and ceramics from Family Mosaic housing association tenants, and enjoy some craft activity. From noon, at Stoke Newington Art Gallery, Stoke Newington Church Street, Stoke Newington, N16. Free, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may also want to watch:
Enjoy an evening of comedy about the painful process of dating with comedians Richard Herring, Brett Goldstein and Mae Martin. From 7pm, at Hackney Attic, Hackney Picturehouse, Mare Street, Hackney, E8. Costs £12, email email@example.com.
Listen to five-piece jazz ensemble Brother Face play a repertoire ranging from avant garde and Tin Pan Alley, with influences from Prokofiev to Ed Blackwell and PJ Harvey. From 8.30pm, at The Vortex Jazz Club, 11 Gillett Square, N16. Costs £12.50, call 020 7254 409.
- 1 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 2 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 3 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 4 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 6 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 7 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 8 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 9 Tote bags help tackle homelessness and addiction
- 10 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school
Pick up bargains and enjoy a raffle and refreshments at a Christmas bazaar. From 1pm, at Trowbridge Senior Citizens Club, Trowbridge Estate, Lavington Close, Hackney Wick, E9. Free, call 020 8510 0195.
Enjoy free grub and pampering – including manicures and massages – at a barbecue for parents under 25 and their families. From noon, at Linden Children’s Centre, 86-92 Rectory Road, Stoke Newington, N16. Free, call 020 7254 993.
Watch and listen poet and novelist Simon Armitage get on the decks and whip up some indie pop, post-punk, new wave and sixties music. From 10pm, at Scared to Dance, Moustache Bar, Stoke Newington Road, Stoke Newington, N16. Costs £4, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Go on a walking tour of local gardens with tree expert Russell Miller and learn about the types of trees which grow there and the local environment. From 11am, at children’s playground, Allens Gardens, Bethune Road, Stoke Newington, N16. Costs £2.50, call 020 8802 4604.
Learn to lift hems, replace zips and reshape clothes by hand and machine. From 11am, Fabrications, 7 Broadway Market, London Fields, E8. Costs £30, call 020 7275 8043.
Step up to the mic, try out new material you have written or read a literary gem at a session for aspiring writers. From 7.30pm, at Hackney Attic, Hackney Picturehouse, Mare Street, Hackney, E8. Costs £4, email email@example.com.