What’s on in Hackney this weekend
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Images
A short, sharp guide to what’s on in Hackney this weekend:
Celebrate the achievements of some of the most gifted and talented musical students in Hackney at a gala. From 6.30pm, at Hackney Empire, 291 Mare Street, Hackney Central, E8. Costs £12, call 020 8985 2424.
View and buy oil and water colour paintings and ceramics from Family Mosaic housing association tenants, and enjoy some craft activity. From noon, at Stoke Newington Art Gallery, Stoke Newington Church Street, Stoke Newington, N16. Free, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may also want to watch:
Enjoy an evening of comedy about the painful process of dating with comedians Richard Herring, Brett Goldstein and Mae Martin. From 7pm, at Hackney Attic, Hackney Picturehouse, Mare Street, Hackney, E8. Costs £12, email email@example.com.
Listen to five-piece jazz ensemble Brother Face play a repertoire ranging from avant garde and Tin Pan Alley, with influences from Prokofiev to Ed Blackwell and PJ Harvey. From 8.30pm, at The Vortex Jazz Club, 11 Gillett Square, N16. Costs £12.50, call 020 7254 409.
- 1 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 2 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 3 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
- 4 Stoke Newington eatery voted favourite café by Gazette readers
- 5 Undercover Met officers may have infiltrated Hackney CND
- 6 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 7 Hackney's field-to-fork cooking school opens in Lower Clapton
- 8 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 9 Repair Shop's Jay Blades hosts bingo for older Londoners
- 10 Complaints about noise neighbours soared in Hackney during the pandemic
Pick up bargains and enjoy a raffle and refreshments at a Christmas bazaar. From 1pm, at Trowbridge Senior Citizens Club, Trowbridge Estate, Lavington Close, Hackney Wick, E9. Free, call 020 8510 0195.
Enjoy free grub and pampering – including manicures and massages – at a barbecue for parents under 25 and their families. From noon, at Linden Children’s Centre, 86-92 Rectory Road, Stoke Newington, N16. Free, call 020 7254 993.
Watch and listen poet and novelist Simon Armitage get on the decks and whip up some indie pop, post-punk, new wave and sixties music. From 10pm, at Scared to Dance, Moustache Bar, Stoke Newington Road, Stoke Newington, N16. Costs £4, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Go on a walking tour of local gardens with tree expert Russell Miller and learn about the types of trees which grow there and the local environment. From 11am, at children’s playground, Allens Gardens, Bethune Road, Stoke Newington, N16. Costs £2.50, call 020 8802 4604.
Learn to lift hems, replace zips and reshape clothes by hand and machine. From 11am, Fabrications, 7 Broadway Market, London Fields, E8. Costs £30, call 020 7275 8043.
Step up to the mic, try out new material you have written or read a literary gem at a session for aspiring writers. From 7.30pm, at Hackney Attic, Hackney Picturehouse, Mare Street, Hackney, E8. Costs £4, email email@example.com.