What’s on in Hackney this weekend
- Credit: Archant
A short, sharp guide to what’s on in Hackney this weekend:
Bring a song, memory or story to an afternoon of remembrance and celebration of Nelson Mandela featuring guest speakers and performers. From 2pm (entertainment from 5.30pm), at Hackney Museum, Hackney Technology And Learning Centre, 1 Reading Lane, E8. Free, call 020 8356 3500.
Watch action thriller American Hustle which is loosely based on a 1970s sting operation involving a number of senior American politicians. From 2.30pm, 5.45pm and 8.45pm, at the Rio Cinema, 107 Kingsland Road, E8. Costs £7.50, call 020 7241 9410.
Listen to popular London based American jazz group The Exiles play. From 8.30pm, at The Vortex, 11 Gillett Street, N16. Costs £12.50, call 020 7254 4097.
Let your kids get creative with a drop-in arts and crafts sessions where they can make an amazing piece of art inspired by the Museum to take home. From 2pm, at V&A Museum of Childhood, Cambridge Heath Road, E2. Free, call 020 8983 5200.
- 1 Arrests for violent disorder following Dalston moped operation
- 2 Footage appearing to show officer striking man in Dalston under review
- 3 Two teenagers arrested following stabbing of 16-year-old
- 4 Three men convicted for Dalston shooting
- 5 Stoke Newington: Pret 'sorry' after staff tell indy café 'we'll steal your customers'
- 6 'A horrific attack': Man suffers critical head injuries from Shoreditch fight
- 7 Speeding driver who killed elderly man in hit and run found guilty
- 8 Jailed: Hackney man sentenced for fatal hit-and-run
- 9 Teenage girls arrested after incident in Kingsland High Street
- 10 Men jailed after firing 13 shots at people in children's park
Listen to DJ Brian Shimkovitz and blogger of Awesome tapes from Africa play sounds he’s collected on the African marketplace including folkloric pop, left-field dancefloor gems and hip-hop bangers. From 8pm, at Cafe Oto, 18 Ashwin Street, E8. Costs £8, visit http://www.wegottickets.com/location/1370.
Show off your groove at Hipsters Don’t Dance with residents Kazabon and Hootie Who, Murlo and The Large playing hip hop and dancehall. From 9pm, at the Shacklewell Arms, 71 Shacklewell Lane, E8. Costs £5, call 020 7249 0810.
Say goodbye to Christmas with traditional burning of the holly and ivy, carol singing, mulled wine and Twelfth Night cake. From 3.30pm, at The Geffrye Museum, Kingsland Road, E2. Free, call 020 7739 9893.
Enjoy a shared meal with others made from surplus food and garden produce at The People’s Kitchen. From 7pm, at Passing Clouds, 1 Richmond Road, , E8. Free (but donations welcome), call 020 7241 4889.
Mellow out to project Raajmahal, which is steeped in Indian and Eastern spiritualism, play layers of drifting guitar and ethereal vocal chants. From 8pm, at Cafe Oto, 18 Ashwin Street, E8. Costs £7, visit http://www.wegottickets.com/location/1370.