Where Spurs must improve in the transfer window
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
With Tottenham Hotspur transfer rumours in full swing, Jacob Ranson looks at what the club needs to focus on in the January window.
Head coach Jose Mourinho has been in charge for a while now and I'm sure is keen to add to his squad to make it more his own.
We've taken a look at the areas he may look to strengthen and the players they've been linked with so far during the January transfer window.
The key positions I would imagine the former Chelsea boss is looking for another option at right-back, a back up striker for the currently injured Harry Kane, and another option at centre-back.
As with pretty much every Premier League club in this day and age there has been a whole host of players linked with the north London outfit including the likes of Atletico Madrid's Thomas Lemar, Chelsea's Olivier Giroud, Barcelona defender Samuel Umtiti and many more.
You may also want to watch:
A right-back I would say is most important in the long-term as they only have Serge Aurier at their disposal with Kyle Walker-Peters set to join Crystal Palace on loan during the window.
They've been linked with the likes of Norwich City's Max Aarons and RB Leipzig's Nordi Mukiele who could both prove to be shrewd additions if pulled off.
- 1 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 2 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 3 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 4 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 5 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 6 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 7 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 8 Hackney author speaks out against stop and search
- 9 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 10 Homerton High Street attack: Man in his 50s stabbed in the back
Mourinho likes his teams to be defensively strong and is reportedly looking to also add another option at centre-back with Barcelona star Samuel Umtiti being heavily linked.
Although they face competition from both Arsenal and Manchester United for the 26-year-old.
RB Leipzig youngster Dayot Upamecano is also another name being touted to help strengthen their options while the boss is an admirer of West Ham's Issa Diop.
However, the Hammers are not keen on selling the 22-year-old, and believe he is valued at more than £50 million.
Other than defensive additions there is now a lot of talk about new attacking options with Harry Kane now out injured due to a hamstring tear.
Chelsea striker and former Arsenal front man Olivier Giroud seems out of favour in west London and could be a cheaper option for Spurs to look into.
Thomas Lemar is another linked with the club but they face competition from Chelsea to sign the Atletico Madrid attacker.
The deal is reportedly expected to be a loan deal with the option to buy.
Spurs are also looking to the future and have been tracking QPR youngster Eberechi Eze but if they signed him it is expected that he may go back to the R's on loan until the end of the season.
The attacking midfielder has been one of the stars in the Championship so far this season and is a hot prospect.