Whiston Road fire: Blaze in third floor Haggerston flat blamed on phone charger
- Credit: Archant
An overheated phone charger has been blamed for setting off a blaze in a block of flats in Haggerston last night.
A woman and two children fled the third floor flat in Whiston Road before firefighters arrived at 6.30pm, along with about 30 other people.
But two women had to be led to safety by fire crews wearing breathing apparatus.
It took 21 fire fighters an hour and a half to get the fire under control.
Half of the flat and part of the wooden cladding surrounding a window has been damaged.
A spokesman for the London Fire Brigade said the most likely cause of the fire is believed to be a phone charger overheating on a bed.
He said: “Thankfully the mother and children quickly escaped the flat soon after noticing the fire in the bedroom.
- 1 'Was she rank?': Met apologises for language used during Hackney strip search
- 2 Covid patient numbers at Homerton Hospital with Plan B rules set to lift
- 3 Man rushed to hospital following Stoke Newington stabbing
- 4 Haggerston celebrates the Chinese Lunar New Year
- 5 How often do Londoners cycle to work in each borough?
- 6 Upper Clapton college celebrates recovery after glowing Ofsted report
- 7 'Catastrophic consequences': Hundreds of unvaccinated could lose work at Homerton Hospital
- 8 Four Hackney and Islington properties with amazing skyline views
- 9 Shoreditch floral café blooms at new premises in Bethnal Green
- 10 Artisan coffee house opens in Angel Central following £16m refurbishment
“Phone batteries can get extremely hot.
“Unplugging appliances and chargers when you are not using them, or when you go to bed, helps reduce the risk of fire.”
Fire crews from Bethnal Green, Islington, Dowgate, and Shadwell fire stations attended the scene.