Whiston Road fire: Blaze in third floor Haggerston flat blamed on phone charger

PUBLISHED: 10:04 14 February 2018 | UPDATED: 10:04 14 February 2018

The blaze broke out in a third floor flat

The blaze broke out in a third floor flat


An overheated phone charger has been blamed for setting off a blaze in a block of flats in Haggerston last night.

A woman and two children fled the third floor flat in Whiston Road before firefighters arrived at 6.30pm, along with about 30 other people.

But two women had to be led to safety by fire crews wearing breathing apparatus.

It took 21 fire fighters an hour and a half to get the fire under control.

Half of the flat and part of the wooden cladding surrounding a window has been damaged.

A spokesman for the London Fire Brigade said the most likely cause of the fire is believed to be a phone charger overheating on a bed.

He said: “Thankfully the mother and children quickly escaped the flat soon after noticing the fire in the bedroom.

“Phone batteries can get extremely hot.

“Unplugging appliances and chargers when you are not using them, or when you go to bed, helps reduce the risk of fire.”

Fire crews from Bethnal Green, Islington, Dowgate, and Shadwell fire stations attended the scene.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Hackney Gazette. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Hackney Gazette