White Horse strip club shuts after four decades in Shoreditch – due to rising rents
- Credit: Archant
The White Horse, one of Hackney’s four remaining strip clubs, has closed down because of rising rents.
Werwent London, which brought the four-storey building in Shoreditch High Street two years ago, told landlady Sue Bristow it would charge her more in her five-yearly rent review.
She was also offered the chance to be bought out – which she accepted.
Because of Hackney Council’s “nil” policy on more sex entertainment venues opening in the borough, they could not sell their business as a going concern.
The decision made by councillors on the licensing committee in 2011 banned any more strip clubs and sex shops from opening here, but allowed the existing ones to remain, subject to conditions. Ms Bristow’s parents set up the White Horse striptease club when she was six, and she has been running the business with her own daughter Emilie.
The 45-year-old told the Gazette: “It was our life after 38 years. We lived and worked there. It has meant buying houses and moving out.
“I absolutely loved running it. I would have been happy to stay there. We were a busy pub.
- 1 Man in 'life-threatening' condition after Hackney shooting
- 2 London among areas where drought is declared
- 3 Polio virus found in Hackney as vaccine rollout announced
- 4 Hackney brain tumour patient mum raises money for hospice
- 5 Coldplay at Wembley Stadium: Setlist and photos
- 6 'The grim history of London's water supply'
- 7 Ongoing gas leak after fire and explosion in Shoreditch
- 8 'Hello Mum' - WhatsApp scammers posing as children steal over £1.5m
- 9 Cost of living crisis: What to do if you can't pay your bills
- 10 Hospital trust bucks national trend by recruiting more UK medical staff
“My mum and dad ran the pub and we have been through a couple of recessions – we have been there that long.
“The rent would have gone up significantly. It was unaffordable. We knew we had a good rent but they wanted to put it up extortionately.”
Ms Bristow and her daughter have moved to Waltham Abbey while her mother now lives in Bexhill, Sussex.