Woman and dog in dramatic escape from house fire in south Hackney

A woman jumped to safety from a first floor window after fire broke out in a house in south Hackney on Tuesday morning.

A woman jumped to safety from a window after fire broke out in a house in south Hackney on this morning (Tuesday).

The 29-year-old escaped from the two storey maisonette in Wick Road as flames took hold at about 11am.

Emergency crews also saved the life of a dog, which had been trapped on the groundfloor, by giving it first aid and oxygen.

Twenty firefighters battled the blaze, which was under control by midday.

Part of the ground floor was damaged by the fire.

A London Fire Brigade spokeswoman said the woman jumped out of the groundfloor window before emergency services arrived.

Most Read

She was “lucky to be alive” after becoming trapped when the fire broke out in her kitchen and she was unable to find the keys to her security grilles on her front door.

Paramedics treated the woman for minor smoke inhalation and a small burn on her hand. She did not need to go to hospital.

Jim Hewett, station manager at nearby Leyton fire station, who was at the scene, warned residents about making similar dramatic escapes.

He said fire victims should only exit through a window on the ground or first floor if the normal route out is blocked and use bedding to break their fall.

“Despite what you might see in the movies, you should never jump from a window as this can cause serious injuries – lower yourself down to arms length and drop to the ground,” he added.