Woman celebrates 50 years working for Hackney retail giant
- Credit: Archant
A woman has been recognised for being the only employee in the country to hit a whopping 50 year milestone working for a retail giant.
Wendy Martin, who currently works in the Hackney branch of Marks & Spencer, in Mare Street, was invited by chief executive Marc Bolland to attend an exclusive ceremony, dating back to 1918, for her half century of service.
Ms Martin, 65, has always been based in east London and has grown with her role during times of dramatic change.
Alongside 90 other long serving employees, Ms Martin was invited to enjoy champagne and canapés at the M&S headquarters and was later treated to a West End show and an overnight stay in a London hotel to mark her achievement.
Wendy said: “I’ve always loved my job and it’s fantastic to mark my anniversary and share stories with so many other long-serving M&S colleagues from across the country.
You may also want to watch:
“The trip to London was pure indulgence and a lovely way to celebrate 50 years. I have made many friends over the years at M&S and I look forward to continuing my journey with the company.”
Retail director, Sacha Berendji said: “We’re incredibly proud of our loyal workforce and we always enjoy recognising and celebrating important milestones, like our colleagues achieve 25, 40 and 50 years’ service with M&S.
- 1 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 2 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 3 Your Paper, Your Voice: We want to hear from you
- 4 'Betrayal of Tottenham Hotspur': fans slam European Super League plan
- 5 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 6 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 7 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 8 Roads, Museum of the Home, Living Wage and child exploitation
- 9 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 10 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
“To be raising a glass and toasting almost one hundred staff this year is a real testament to the quality and dedication of our employees.”