Woman celebrates 50 years working for Hackney retail giant
- Credit: Archant
A woman has been recognised for being the only employee in the country to hit a whopping 50 year milestone working for a retail giant.
Wendy Martin, who currently works in the Hackney branch of Marks & Spencer, in Mare Street, was invited by chief executive Marc Bolland to attend an exclusive ceremony, dating back to 1918, for her half century of service.
Ms Martin, 65, has always been based in east London and has grown with her role during times of dramatic change.
Alongside 90 other long serving employees, Ms Martin was invited to enjoy champagne and canapés at the M&S headquarters and was later treated to a West End show and an overnight stay in a London hotel to mark her achievement.
Wendy said: “I’ve always loved my job and it’s fantastic to mark my anniversary and share stories with so many other long-serving M&S colleagues from across the country.
You may also want to watch:
“The trip to London was pure indulgence and a lovely way to celebrate 50 years. I have made many friends over the years at M&S and I look forward to continuing my journey with the company.”
Retail director, Sacha Berendji said: “We’re incredibly proud of our loyal workforce and we always enjoy recognising and celebrating important milestones, like our colleagues achieve 25, 40 and 50 years’ service with M&S.
- 1 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 2 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 3 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 4 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 5 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 6 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 7 Union votes to strike over cuts at Hackney schools
- 8 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 9 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 10 Hackney school pupils bag top spots in national architecture competition
“To be raising a glass and toasting almost one hundred staff this year is a real testament to the quality and dedication of our employees.”