Woman killed in collision with lorry in Lower Clapton Road
A female pedestrian has been killed in a collision with a lorry in Lower Clapton Road this morning (Wednesday).
The woman, who is believed to be elderly, was hit near the junction with Urswick Road shortly before 10.45am.
A shop worker who witnessed the accident said: “It happened right in front of our eyes. It was an old lady, a black lady with a walking stick and a bag. It was a big, big lorry that went over her and then the car behind went over her too. I don’t think either of them saw her though until people started running over and screaming.
“It is a dangerous crossing. The lorry was turning right into Urswick Road and this all happened in front of us at about 10.30 this morning. I thought it was not real. We were screaming and my colleague is just in shock. It’s terrible.”
London’s Air Ambulance attended the scene of the crash and the Met’s traffic department is investigating.
You may also want to watch:
Urswick Road and Homerton High Street were closed in both directions and traffic queues built up between the Ponsford Street and Lower Clapton Road.
- 1 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 4 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 5 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 6 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 7 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 8 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 9 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 10 Tote bags help tackle homelessness and addiction