Woman’s torso in canal - suspect held reportedly linked to missing EastEnders actress
Police continued their search for more body parts in the Regents Canal this morning (Thursday) after a woman’s torso was found dumped in the water on Tuesday afternoon.
A 35-year-old man arrested in connection with the incident has been widely reported in the media as being the brother of missing former Eastenders actress Gemma McCluskie, who vanished from her home in Pelter Street, Bethnal Green, a week ago.
Gemma, who starred as Kerry Skinner in 30 episodes of the BBC1 soap, lived less than a mile from where the remains were found close to the canal’s lock near Broadway Market, Haggerston.
But a Hackney Police spokeswoman would only say Gemma’s disappearance was “one line of inquiry” and the body has not yet been formally identified.
An incident room has opened at the Homicide and Serious Crime Command in Barking.
You may also want to watch:
Detectives appealed for witnesses, or anyone with information, to call them on 020 8345 3985, or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
- 1 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 2 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 3 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 4 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 5 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 6 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 7 'Betrayal of Tottenham Hotspur': fans slam European Super League plan
- 8 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 9 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 10 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home