Woman’s torso in canal - suspect held reportedly linked to missing EastEnders actress
Police continued their search for more body parts in the Regents Canal this morning (Thursday) after a woman’s torso was found dumped in the water on Tuesday afternoon.
A 35-year-old man arrested in connection with the incident has been widely reported in the media as being the brother of missing former Eastenders actress Gemma McCluskie, who vanished from her home in Pelter Street, Bethnal Green, a week ago.
Gemma, who starred as Kerry Skinner in 30 episodes of the BBC1 soap, lived less than a mile from where the remains were found close to the canal’s lock near Broadway Market, Haggerston.
But a Hackney Police spokeswoman would only say Gemma’s disappearance was “one line of inquiry” and the body has not yet been formally identified.
An incident room has opened at the Homicide and Serious Crime Command in Barking.
You may also want to watch:
Detectives appealed for witnesses, or anyone with information, to call them on 020 8345 3985, or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 3 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 4 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 5 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 6 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 7 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 8 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 9 Hackney school pupils bag top spots in national architecture competition
- 10 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service