Woman’s torso in canal - suspect held reportedly linked to missing EastEnders actress
Police continued their search for more body parts in the Regents Canal this morning (Thursday) after a woman’s torso was found dumped in the water on Tuesday afternoon.
A 35-year-old man arrested in connection with the incident has been widely reported in the media as being the brother of missing former Eastenders actress Gemma McCluskie, who vanished from her home in Pelter Street, Bethnal Green, a week ago.
Gemma, who starred as Kerry Skinner in 30 episodes of the BBC1 soap, lived less than a mile from where the remains were found close to the canal’s lock near Broadway Market, Haggerston.
But a Hackney Police spokeswoman would only say Gemma’s disappearance was “one line of inquiry” and the body has not yet been formally identified.
An incident room has opened at the Homicide and Serious Crime Command in Barking.
You may also want to watch:
Detectives appealed for witnesses, or anyone with information, to call them on 020 8345 3985, or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
- 1 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 2 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 3 Covid cases drop in Hackney for the first time since May
- 4 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 5 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 6 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 7 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 8 Two new sixth forms planned for Islington and Hackney
- 9 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 10 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder