Women empowerment event inspires Hoxton residents
- Credit: Archant
An initiative to celebrate the empowerment of women and raise awareness about sickle cell anemia launched its first event last week at Hoxton Arches.
The #WomenRock, event hosted by ex-Big Brother housemate Heaven Afrika, featured live entertainment, children’s activities and guest speakers including Marie Hanson, CEO of charity STORM Empowerment.
Ms Afrika said: “I was both moved and inspired by some of the stories of a very bad situation turned into a positive. Some of these women and girls have been through horrific circumstances, only to come out of the other end stronger than before.
“They also all give back to society and help others who are in a vulnerable situation as they once were”
As well as being a relaxed ‘fun day’, the event raised money for Women’s Aid, a charity supporting female victims of domestic violence, and World Sickle Cell Awareness.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Marie Hanson, who attended the event, said: “I had a great time. It was so empowering, so many women with so much potential. All in all a fantastic day.”
The event was founded by Lavina Morgan whose son suffers from sickle cell – she said: “I believe this was a success for our first event. We are so excited and getting ready to do bigger and better next year.”
- 1 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 2 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 3 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 4 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 5 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 6 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 7 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 8 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 9 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 10 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities