Women empowerment event inspires Hoxton residents
- Credit: Archant
An initiative to celebrate the empowerment of women and raise awareness about sickle cell anemia launched its first event last week at Hoxton Arches.
The #WomenRock, event hosted by ex-Big Brother housemate Heaven Afrika, featured live entertainment, children’s activities and guest speakers including Marie Hanson, CEO of charity STORM Empowerment.
Ms Afrika said: “I was both moved and inspired by some of the stories of a very bad situation turned into a positive. Some of these women and girls have been through horrific circumstances, only to come out of the other end stronger than before.
“They also all give back to society and help others who are in a vulnerable situation as they once were”
As well as being a relaxed ‘fun day’, the event raised money for Women’s Aid, a charity supporting female victims of domestic violence, and World Sickle Cell Awareness.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Marie Hanson, who attended the event, said: “I had a great time. It was so empowering, so many women with so much potential. All in all a fantastic day.”
The event was founded by Lavina Morgan whose son suffers from sickle cell – she said: “I believe this was a success for our first event. We are so excited and getting ready to do bigger and better next year.”
- 1 "Heartless" Joshua White killers jailed for life
- 2 Broken De Beauvoir Estate lift saw man "bump" wife in wheelchair down stairs
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 5 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
- 6 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 7 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 8 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 9 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 10 Three men charged following Hackney shooting