Woodberry Down garden to get share of �800,000 green grant
A Hackney garden project has been earmarked for a share of �800,000 in government funding to boost green living in the run up to the Olympic Games.
Residents living on the Woodberry Down Estate in Stamford Hill will get financial support to relocate a temporary garden threatened by building works to a new site on derelict land nearby.
Environmental regeneration charity Groundwork London is one of four organisations to get a green grant from the Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) and will use the money to transform 20 neglected and under used spaces in the Olympic host boroughs.
Woodberry Down Gardening Committee is among the first groups selected and will get an initial �5,000 investment.
Three further Hackney environment projects are expected to benefit from Groundwork’s ‘Transform’ scheme.
You may also want to watch:
Ben Coles, director of communities and local partnerships, said: “We are excited about the range of environmental volunteering opportunities this programme will create, and that people involved in the ‘Transform’ project will be truly empowered to lead more sustainable lifestyles and reduce their environmental impact. We anticipate working with four community groups in each of the five Host Boroughs and details of how Hackney groups can apply will be made available shortly.”
- 1 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 2 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 3 Chinese dumpling house voted top restaurant by readers
- 4 Scouts roll out new early years Squirrels programme across east London
- 5 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 6 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
- 7 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 8 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 9 Hackney Wick's Lord Napier pub opens its doors after 26 years
- 10 McDonald's boycott backed by Diane Abbott, Hackney MP