Woodberry Wetlands wins people’s choice at Hackney Design Awards
- Credit: Archant
Nature reserve Woodberry Wetlands has scooped the people’s prize at the Hackney Design Awards after receiving a record-breaking number of votes.
The oasis in Stoke Newington was one of seven winners announced this week from a shortlist of 16.
A panel of experts chose six of the winners, while 1,300 people thought the wetlands was the best designed sight.
The other winners were Spruce Apartments, The Cube Building, Shepherdess Walk, Frampton Park Baptist Church, Copper Lane and 32a Landsdowne Drive.
Fred Manson from designers Heatherwick Studios was chair of the judges panel. He said: “This year the jury was impressed by the high quality of entries. There was a consistent high quality in design, usually avoiding the too showy, which is what is most needed to establish good quality places.
You may also want to watch:
“Winning means a lot to the designers when they are awarded and users and owners are very proud of the recognition.”
- 1 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 2 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 3 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 4 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 5 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 6 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 7 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 8 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 9 Hackney residents plan to make noise for more representative voting systems
- 10 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72