Woodberry Wetlands wins people’s choice at Hackney Design Awards
- Credit: Archant
Nature reserve Woodberry Wetlands has scooped the people’s prize at the Hackney Design Awards after receiving a record-breaking number of votes.
The oasis in Stoke Newington was one of seven winners announced this week from a shortlist of 16.
A panel of experts chose six of the winners, while 1,300 people thought the wetlands was the best designed sight.
The other winners were Spruce Apartments, The Cube Building, Shepherdess Walk, Frampton Park Baptist Church, Copper Lane and 32a Landsdowne Drive.
Fred Manson from designers Heatherwick Studios was chair of the judges panel. He said: “This year the jury was impressed by the high quality of entries. There was a consistent high quality in design, usually avoiding the too showy, which is what is most needed to establish good quality places.
You may also want to watch:
“Winning means a lot to the designers when they are awarded and users and owners are very proud of the recognition.”
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 4 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 5 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 6 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 7 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 8 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 9 Leyton Orient boss McAnuff wants his side to impose themselves on Barrow
- 10 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year