Woodberry Wetlands wins people’s choice at Hackney Design Awards
- Credit: Archant
Nature reserve Woodberry Wetlands has scooped the people’s prize at the Hackney Design Awards after receiving a record-breaking number of votes.
The oasis in Stoke Newington was one of seven winners announced this week from a shortlist of 16.
A panel of experts chose six of the winners, while 1,300 people thought the wetlands was the best designed sight.
The other winners were Spruce Apartments, The Cube Building, Shepherdess Walk, Frampton Park Baptist Church, Copper Lane and 32a Landsdowne Drive.
Fred Manson from designers Heatherwick Studios was chair of the judges panel. He said: “This year the jury was impressed by the high quality of entries. There was a consistent high quality in design, usually avoiding the too showy, which is what is most needed to establish good quality places.
You may also want to watch:
“Winning means a lot to the designers when they are awarded and users and owners are very proud of the recognition.”
- 1 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 2 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 3 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 4 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 5 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 6 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 7 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 8 Homerton High Street attack: Man in his 50s stabbed in the back
- 9 Police divers search for man who fell from boat into freezing River Lea
- 10 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club