Work to start on London Fields Lido winter lights
- Credit: Archant
Swimmers will soon be able to enjoy more time at London Fields Lido as poolside floodlighting will allow for longer opening hours in the darker winter months.
Work to install eight floodlight columns will begin on Monday along with new underwater pool lighting and lights in the changing cubicles.
The Olympic-sized lido, just off Richmond Road, will be open from 6.30am to 9pm all-year-round, starting in December.
Cllr Jonathan McShane, cabinet member for health, social care and culture, said: “The pool owes much of its popularity to its state of the art, environmentally friendly heating system, which keeps the water temperature at a constant 25C (77F), even in the coldest weather.
“Now, with these extended opening hours, there’s no excuse not to take a dip and enjoy all the health and lifestyle benefits that swimming brings.”
You may also want to watch:
The lighting has been “carefully selected” by Hackney Council and its leisure partner GLL, who run the lido, in order to minimise potential light pollution for residents and wildlife.
The work is due to finish at the end of November and is not expected to affect the availability of the popular pool which saw 198,000 visitors last year.
- 1 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 4 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 5 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 6 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 7 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 8 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 9 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 10 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers