Work to start on London Fields Lido winter lights
- Credit: Archant
Swimmers will soon be able to enjoy more time at London Fields Lido as poolside floodlighting will allow for longer opening hours in the darker winter months.
Work to install eight floodlight columns will begin on Monday along with new underwater pool lighting and lights in the changing cubicles.
The Olympic-sized lido, just off Richmond Road, will be open from 6.30am to 9pm all-year-round, starting in December.
Cllr Jonathan McShane, cabinet member for health, social care and culture, said: “The pool owes much of its popularity to its state of the art, environmentally friendly heating system, which keeps the water temperature at a constant 25C (77F), even in the coldest weather.
“Now, with these extended opening hours, there’s no excuse not to take a dip and enjoy all the health and lifestyle benefits that swimming brings.”
You may also want to watch:
The lighting has been “carefully selected” by Hackney Council and its leisure partner GLL, who run the lido, in order to minimise potential light pollution for residents and wildlife.
The work is due to finish at the end of November and is not expected to affect the availability of the popular pool which saw 198,000 visitors last year.
- 1 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 2 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 3 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 4 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 5 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 6 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 7 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 8 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages
- 9 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 10 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12