Workforce of grannies will demonstrate sustainable clothes manufacture for Lily Cole’s fashion label, tomorrow at Hackney House
Hackney will showcase the best of the borough’s fashion talent tomorrow at a free event in the special Olympic-period expo centre, Hackney House.
The interactive exhibition at the venue in Shoreditch High Street will include workshops and demonstrations covering all aspects of Hackney’s thriving fashion industry.
Highlights include London College of Fashion showcasing work from its recent graduates, set designer Robert Storey’s installation of outfits, and curator and film director Kathryn Ferguson will present a selection of fashion films from up-and-coming east London “creatives”.
A workforce of grannies will demonstrate sustainable garment production for actress and model Lily Cole’s ethical fashion label The North Circular.
Visitors will also have the opportunity to learn from Balls Pond Road-based Here Today, Here Tomorrow, on how to build a business on personalised production.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile jewellery designer and manufacturer Tatty Devine will be at work making personalised laser cut pieces, and Pattern Consultants Patternity will be making hand painted silk scarves.
Hackney’s elected Major Jules Pipe will announce details of a major investment in the borough’s fashion industry and guest speaker, Wendy Malem from the London College of Fashion and Centre for Fashion Enterprise, will talk about the borough’s thriving fashion sector and why Hackney is central to London’s fashion industry.
- 1 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 2 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 3 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 4 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 5 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 6 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 7 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers
- 10 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
Jules Pipe, said: “Hackney is the creative heart of London.
“This is the capital’s youngest and most culturally diverse borough, with the highest number of working artists anywhere in Europe.
“The fashion industry has always been important to the East End of London, and it is fast becoming one of the most important industries in Hackney.”
In the evening award-winning and Mercury Music Prize nominees, Polar Bear, will take to the Hackney House stage followed by DJ Mikki Most.
The event is free and doors open at noon for exhibitions and workshops with the speeches and the fashion presentation starting at 3.30pm.
For more information and to register your interest www.hackneyhouse.org/fashion-day/