World record bid to build giant Star Wars mosaic from Lego in Shoreditch
Public are invited to register to help
A world record bid is being attempted in Hackney during the school half-term holidays next month to create a giant mosaic made from hundreds of thousands of inter-locking nulti-coloured Lego bricks featuring characters from the sci-fi movie blockbuster, Star Wars.
The public is being invited to lend a helping hand to construct the huge mosaic over three days at Shoreditch Town Hall in Old Street, which, when completed, will measure 52 feet across and 23 feet along its side and will cover a total of 886 square feet.
Organisers Lego and publishers DK are hoping to smash the previous record of 886 square feet to celebrate the launch of their Star Wars Lego Brickmaster book series.
Designed by German artist. Zoltan Simon, the mosaic will feature Star Wars legends Luke Skywalker, Hans Solo and Jabba the Hut.
Anyone can take part in the free event which is being held on Saturday October 23 and Sunday, October 24, from 10am until 5pm and Monday, October 26 from 10am until 4pm.
The Brickish Association, a group of adult Lego enthusiasts, will aid the attempt and afterwards all 384,000 lego bricks, worth �50,000 will be donated to children’s charity, Kids Company
- 1 Man in 'life-threatening' condition after Hackney shooting
- 2 Mogwai added to All Points East after King Gizzard pull out for health reasons
- 3 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 4 Ongoing gas leak after fire and explosion in Shoreditch
- 5 Hospital trust bucks national trend by recruiting more UK medical staff
- 6 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 7 Siegfried: 'An epic of loneliness and self-doubt'
- 8 Apothecary: Japanese-inspired small plates combine with Shoreditch vibes
- 9 Hackney brain tumour patient mum raises money for hospice
- 10 Hundreds of children strip searched by Met Police
Registration opens from Friday, October1. To register go to: www.dk.com/legomosaic