World record bid to build giant Star Wars mosaic from Lego in Shoreditch
Public are invited to register to help
A world record bid is being attempted in Hackney during the school half-term holidays next month to create a giant mosaic made from hundreds of thousands of inter-locking nulti-coloured Lego bricks featuring characters from the sci-fi movie blockbuster, Star Wars.
The public is being invited to lend a helping hand to construct the huge mosaic over three days at Shoreditch Town Hall in Old Street, which, when completed, will measure 52 feet across and 23 feet along its side and will cover a total of 886 square feet.
Organisers Lego and publishers DK are hoping to smash the previous record of 886 square feet to celebrate the launch of their Star Wars Lego Brickmaster book series.
Designed by German artist. Zoltan Simon, the mosaic will feature Star Wars legends Luke Skywalker, Hans Solo and Jabba the Hut.
You may also want to watch:
Anyone can take part in the free event which is being held on Saturday October 23 and Sunday, October 24, from 10am until 5pm and Monday, October 26 from 10am until 4pm.
The Brickish Association, a group of adult Lego enthusiasts, will aid the attempt and afterwards all 384,000 lego bricks, worth �50,000 will be donated to children’s charity, Kids Company
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 3 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 6 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 7 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 8 Hackney service remembers Prince Philip, 'rock of the nation'
- 9 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 10 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
Registration opens from Friday, October1. To register go to: www.dk.com/legomosaic