Young Hackney athletes get cash boost from council
Hackney’s Olympic hopes of the future are being given an extra boost towards their dreams with funding from Hackney Council.
Its Youth Sport Fund has awarded �94,500 to young athletes since being set up in 2007.
Most recently, talented 12-year-old diver Noah Williams from Shoreditch has been given a Youth Sport Fund Award.
He has won gold for Hackney in the London Youth Games diving competition as well as winning the ASA National Skills Championship and the GBDF Novice Championships.
Noah said: “The money will pay for the Christmas training camp at Sheffield where I will be learning new and harder dives.”
You may also want to watch:
Former GB Olympic diver Chris Snode described Noah as “quite exceptional and worth supporting”.
Homerton sprinter Margaret Adeoye received money from the fund in 2011 and has gone on to great success, qualifying for the 200m at the current Games.
- 1 Man attacked with metal pole in Clapton
- 2 Hackney man, 22, died struggling to breathe in prison cell for eight minutes
- 3 Hackney had worst knife crime rate in London, report finds
- 4 Dalston revealed as Hackney's top hotspot for weapons offences
- 5 Hackney leaders welcome Mayor Khan's ULEZ expansion
- 6 Hackney sees house prices boom by more than 108 per cent over ten years
- 7 Stats show rate of rise in Covid rates locally
- 8 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 9 What A Wonderful World: Hackney Choirs sing for climate action ahead of COP26
- 10 I’m terrible at golf. Can a Shoreditch centre help me improve?
Thirteen other young sporting talents in Hackney, representing sports from fencing to ice-skating to weightlifting, are receiving funds from the programme.
Hackney Council’s cabinet member for health, social sare and culture, Cllr Jonathan McShane, said: “I’m proud the council has been able to help talented young athletes so they can continue their sporting dreams.”
To apply for funding of up to �500 per year, fill in the form at www.hackney.gov.uk/c-sports-grants.htm by September 21.
For more information contact the council’s leisure and physical activity team at firstname.lastname@example.org