Young Hackney athletes get cash boost from council
Hackney’s Olympic hopes of the future are being given an extra boost towards their dreams with funding from Hackney Council.
Its Youth Sport Fund has awarded �94,500 to young athletes since being set up in 2007.
Most recently, talented 12-year-old diver Noah Williams from Shoreditch has been given a Youth Sport Fund Award.
He has won gold for Hackney in the London Youth Games diving competition as well as winning the ASA National Skills Championship and the GBDF Novice Championships.
Noah said: “The money will pay for the Christmas training camp at Sheffield where I will be learning new and harder dives.”
Former GB Olympic diver Chris Snode described Noah as “quite exceptional and worth supporting”.
Homerton sprinter Margaret Adeoye received money from the fund in 2011 and has gone on to great success, qualifying for the 200m at the current Games.
- 1 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 2 Kids join police as 20 speed tickets given out
- 3 12 stolen phones recovered after stop and search in Hackney
- 4 By-election after Hackney Labour councillor resigns
- 5 Demolition begins to make way for Hoxton homes
- 6 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 7 All you need to know about Hackney Half and Hackney Moves
- 8 Operation to crack down on Dalston street robberies erupted into 'violence'
- 9 Three men convicted for Dalston shooting
- 10 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
Thirteen other young sporting talents in Hackney, representing sports from fencing to ice-skating to weightlifting, are receiving funds from the programme.
Hackney Council’s cabinet member for health, social sare and culture, Cllr Jonathan McShane, said: “I’m proud the council has been able to help talented young athletes so they can continue their sporting dreams.”
To apply for funding of up to �500 per year, fill in the form at www.hackney.gov.uk/c-sports-grants.htm by September 21.
For more information contact the council’s leisure and physical activity team at email@example.com