Young Hackney athletes get cash boost from council
Hackney’s Olympic hopes of the future are being given an extra boost towards their dreams with funding from Hackney Council.
Its Youth Sport Fund has awarded �94,500 to young athletes since being set up in 2007.
Most recently, talented 12-year-old diver Noah Williams from Shoreditch has been given a Youth Sport Fund Award.
He has won gold for Hackney in the London Youth Games diving competition as well as winning the ASA National Skills Championship and the GBDF Novice Championships.
Noah said: “The money will pay for the Christmas training camp at Sheffield where I will be learning new and harder dives.”
You may also want to watch:
Former GB Olympic diver Chris Snode described Noah as “quite exceptional and worth supporting”.
Homerton sprinter Margaret Adeoye received money from the fund in 2011 and has gone on to great success, qualifying for the 200m at the current Games.
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 4 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 5 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 6 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 7 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 8 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 9 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 10 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
Thirteen other young sporting talents in Hackney, representing sports from fencing to ice-skating to weightlifting, are receiving funds from the programme.
Hackney Council’s cabinet member for health, social sare and culture, Cllr Jonathan McShane, said: “I’m proud the council has been able to help talented young athletes so they can continue their sporting dreams.”
To apply for funding of up to �500 per year, fill in the form at www.hackney.gov.uk/c-sports-grants.htm by September 21.
For more information contact the council’s leisure and physical activity team at firstname.lastname@example.org